8-year-old Boy in Brooklyn Dies in Fire Caused by Space Heater: New York Personal Injury Lawyer Kenneth A. Wilhelm Offers Safety Tips for Space Heater Users

Share Article

An 8-year-old boy in Brooklyn was killed in an early morning fire on Feb. 8 after a space heater started a fire in his house. According to a Feb. 9 report in The New York Times, the incident occurred in a two-story redbrick house in Flatbush.

Make sure there is a 3-foot "kid free zone" around space heaters. Also anything that is flammable such as paper, clothing, drapes or bedding, must be kept at least 3 feet away from the heating equipment.

An 8-year-old Brooklyn boy died in a fire that was caused by a space heater, a Feb. 9 report in The New York Times states. According to the news account, the incident occurred in the 2700 block of Bedford Avenue in Flatbush. The blaze began on the first floor and the boy was pronounced dead at the scene while eight others escaped, the article states. Fire officials told the Times that the fire was started because a space heater was placed too close to "combustible materials."

According to the National Fire Protection Association(NFPA), only 32 percent of home heating fires involve space heaters, but they are involved in 79 percent of home heating fire deaths. The NFPA's 2010 report also states that heating equipment continues to be the second leading cause of home fires behind cooking and the second leading cause of home fire deaths behind smoking. The report also states that half of the home space heater fires started because combustible materials were placed too close to the heater.

Home heating fires can and should be prevented, says New York personal injury lawyer, Kenneth A. Wilhelm, who offers a number of safety tips to prevent such tragedies.

1. Make sure there is a 3-foot "kid free zone" around space heaters. Also anything that is flammable such as paper, clothing, drapes or bedding, must be kept at least 3 feet away from the heating equipment.
2. It is important to use a space heater that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
3. Make sure that all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside in order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. This is a gas that is created when fuels burn incompletely and can cause illnesses or even fatalities.
4. Remember to turn off space heaters before you leave the room or go to bed.
5. When you buy a space heater, choose one that has a guard around the flame area or the heating element.

Wilhelm says that these types of precautions will help prevent injuries, illnesses and fatalities caused by space heaters. "In some cases, a faulty space heater can also cause serious injuries and damages. In such incidents, the manufacturers of the defective products can be held liable for the resulting injuries and damages."

About the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm

The Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm is a personal injury litigation firm with an unwavering dedication to its clients. With more than 41 years of experience, our firm strives to obtain the best compensation for those who have been injured or those who have lost a loved one due to an accident or by someone else's negligence. We handle cases dealing with personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death, workers' compensation, dental malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, rape, paralysis, comas, seizures, false arrest, lead poisoning, trips and slips and falls, elevator accidents, construction accidents, Erb's palsy, cerebral palsy, brain damage, blindness, hearing loss, dog bite cases, fire and smoke inhalation accidents, bicycle accidents, falls from windows or scaffolds, and many other types of accidents and injuries.

Please call 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496) 24 hours a day 7 days a week or visit us at http://www.Work4YouLaw.com.

The Law Offices Of Kenneth A. Wilhelm
445 Park Ave, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 545-7373

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Kenneth A. Wilhelm
Follow us on
Visit website