NEW YORK, NY (PRWEB) March 07, 2013
Following a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on February 25th, 2013 The Mediterranean Diet has been deemed the definitive diet for slashing the risk of cardiovascular disease. The study found that “a systematic review ranked the Mediterranean diet as the most likely dietary model to provide protection against coronary heart disease.”
According to the New England Journal of Medicine, “the traditional Mediterranean diet is characterized by a high intake of olive oil, fruit, nuts, vegetables, and cereals; a moderate intake of fish and poultry; a low intake of dairy products, red meat, processed meats, and sweets; and wine in moderation, consumed with meals.” Although it is rapidly gaining in popularity, the Mediterranean diet is anything but faddish. Steeped in tradition, the diet is based on the eating habits and cuisine of countries such as Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, and Greece—countries with low rates of obesity and heart disease.
The Mediterranean Diet, the acclaimed book by Marissa Cloutier, MS, RD and Eve Adamson (Morrow Avon; ISBN: 9780060578787), is the essential guide for putting this heart-healthy lifestyle into action, including:
- A 7-day eating plan chock full of savory meals.
- Vital in-depth nutritional information about each food category.
- A 3-day exercise plan.
- Recipes from tasty Moroccan Vegetable Stew to Rosemary Focaccia.
- How to a switch to a more Mediterranean diet without changing eating habits too drastically.
- Why the use of highly processed foods that contain a large amount of salt and trans-fatty acids are rarely seen in Mediterranean countries.
Although grounded primarily in dietary facts, this book also recognizes that life is for savoring and meals should be for gathering with loved ones rather than “inconvenient chores;” credible and accessible, The Mediterranean Diet is the ultimate guide to filling your diet with health promoting monounsaturated fat, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and much more-- without gaining weight.