Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PRWEB) March 07, 2013
FMC BioPolymer is pleased to announce its health and nutrition product portfolio, a complement of nature-based nutritional solutions for the food ingredient, supplement and cosmetic markets.
As a global leader in seaweed production, FMC recognized compounds found in seaweed including polysaccharides and carotenoids had potential in the global health and nutrition marketplace. This new product portfolio grew from the opportunity to use FMC’s existing raw materials and the company’s 65+ years experience in harvesting seaweed to provide product performance for customers in the global food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
“FMC BioPolymer has long been a leader in helping manufacturers create healthy food products through legacy expertise in core ingredients like alginates, carrageenan and Avicel® microcrystalline cellulose,” said Robert C. Bailey, Commercial Development Manager, FMC BioPolymer. “We’re leveraging our considerable expertise in food ingredients to include a new portfolio of proprietary nature-based nutritional solutions.”
There are four key health and nutrition products:
- The maquiberry, harvested from Patagonia in South America, is a small, purple super fruit with unrivaled antioxidant power versus other super fruits such as acai, mangosteen and pomegranate. This berry is given the very highest ORAC rating as measured by Brunswick labs, an indication of its ability to fight free radicals. MaQBerry® brand extract is available in powder and liquid form and is mildly processed so that it preserves access to polyphenols. MaQBerry® is ripe for inclusion in the next generation of antioxidant products.
- Nutraesterol™ is a blend of unesterified plant sterols and stanols (phytosterols) obtained from tall oil and dispersing agents. Plant sterols have been shown to inhibit cholesterol absorption in the intestine, thereby lowering cholesterol levels in the blood (1). The Nutraesterol™ water-dispersible powder formula has been specially developed to overcome the solubility issues faced in product development when incorporating into aqueous food formulations.
- Nutricol® HN Glucomannan is a natural, soluble dietary fiber with one of the highest molecular weights of any polysaccharide available in the global food supplement market. A body of research has shown Nutricol® HN Glucomannan is a good source of dietary fiber that helps manage body weight and maintain normal cholesterol levels (2).
- Protasea™ Fucoidan is an exceptional brown seaweed extract. This naturally derived extract provides novel immune health technology available for new product development in select global food supplement, pharmaceutical and cosmetic markets. Protasea™ Fucoidan is a gentle, solvent-free, extra virgin fucoidan sourced from Norwegian waters. FMC BioPolymer has pioneered a patent pending process for obtaining high purity fucoidan up to 95%.
(1) Musa-Veloso, Kathy, et. al. “A comparison of the LDL-cholesterol lowering efficacy of plant stanols and plant sterols over a continuous dose range: results of a meta-analysis of randomized, placebo controlled trials” Journal of Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids Vol. 85 (1): 9-28, 20112US Claim: http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/LabelClaims Claim: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1813.htm
(2) Sood, Nitesh et.al. “Effect of glucomannan on plasma lipid and glucose concentrations, body weight and blood pressure: systemic review and meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,Vol. 88 (4): 1167-1175, 2008.
FMC Corporation produces its ingredients using sustainable methods. With a high priority on safety and supply along with sustainability, the company is a responsible steward that uses environmentally friendly methods to process its ingredients.
FMC BioPolymer is one of the world's leading providers of naturally-derived alginates, carrageenan, Avicel® microcrystalline cellulose, pectin, natural colors and now health and nutrition products serving the worldwide food, pharmaceutical, personal care and specialty markets.
FMC Corporation is a diversified chemical company serving agricultural, industrial, environmental and consumer markets globally for more than a century with innovative solutions, applications and quality products. In 2012, FMC had annual sales of approximately $3.7 billion. The company employs approximately 5,700 people throughout the world and operates its businesses in three segments: Agricultural Products, Specialty Chemicals and Industrial Chemicals. For more information, visit http://www.FMC.com.
# # #