Middletown, NY (PRWEB) March 11, 2013
Spring is just around the corner and it is never too early to start prepping your household for allergy season. Although it has been a cold winter, thanks to a warmer climate, spring allergies are striking this region earlier and earlier in the year. The specialists at Hudson Valley Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT) recommend that taking action now can help family members get through the season more comfortably.
Allergy sufferers know that spring can be highly uncomfortable because of the number of different allergens in the air. Spring allergies often are caused by pollen, with trees as the first pollen releasers. A pet that sheds in the spring can worsen allergies. Also, while spring cleaning gets rid of dust, it also releases dust into the air.
“It is easier to take action now to lessen allergy symptoms than to wait until they hit full-force,” says Dr. Phillip Massengill at Hudson Valley ENT. “That is why we suggest two different courses of action to prepare in advance, one for the home and the other for family members.”
About a month before allergy season usually starts, start readying the house:
- Do a thorough spring cleaning. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter that prevents dust from being blown back into the room. Dust using a microfiber cloth, and launder cloths after use.
- Repair holes in screens.
- Check the air conditioning system and make any needed repairs.
- Close the windows on dry, windy days.
- Dry the laundry in the dryer rather than outdoors.
- Brush dogs and cats daily outside of the house.
This also is the time to ready allergy suffers for the tough season:
- Minimize outdoor activities on days when trees that flower early in the season are in bloom.
- Immediately launder clothing that has been worn outdoors.
- Try different non-drowsy antihistamines to find out which ones work best. Keep in mind that they may take a few days to start working.
- When cleaning, wear a mask that protects against dust and pollen.
- Consider consulting with an ENT for recommendations for a medication regimen to prevent and lessen symptoms.
“Allergy season never is fun, but a few simple measures can make it less uncomfortable,” notes Dr. Massengill.
Hudson Valley Ear, Nose & Throat, P.C. is located at 75 Crystal Run Road, Building B, Suite 220, Middletown, NY. For more information, please call 888.350.1368 or visit http://www.hudsonvalleyent.com.
About Hudson Valley Ear, Nose & Throat
Hudson Valley Ear, Nose & Throat, P.C., has been redefining the healthcare experience in the Hudson Valley for more than ten years. Its board-certified physicians, supported by licensed audiologists and dedicated staff, have established a reputation for superior care in treating patients with allergies, gastroesophageal reflux, thyroid and parathyroid disorders, hearing and balance disorders, nasal and sinus disease, head and neck cancer, sleep apnea, snoring, and pediatric ear and throat disorders.