The survey results demonstrate that while Outlook is a ubiquitous file sharing tool, companies have no grasp of what files are being shared and with whom
London, UK (PRWEB) March 12, 2013
A survey by Storage Made Easy discovered that 90% of business users who share files share files directly, with no security tracking of the content being shared.
“The survey results demonstrates that whilst Outlook is a ubiquitous file sharing tool, companies have no grasp of what files are being shared and with whom,” said Jim Liddle, CEO of Storage Made Easy. “Audited file sharing is a strong way to protect a company’s core asset, its data, while ensuring full compliance with regulatory requirements.”
Key findings of the survey:
- 90% who share files are sharing files directly and not sending password protected or time sensitive links, meaning that files being sent or forwarded cannot be traced.
- 51% of businesses share file attachments using email.
- 34% are using Microsoft® Outlook as the default email client.
- 45% of companies are worried about the security of the attachments sent over email.
“Using SME's Outlook file sharing add-in, employees can safely share files from any corporate data source – networks or the cloud - using time-expired and/or password protected links that are easily auditable,” continued Mr. Liddle.
Storage Made Easy, the cloud file server and secure collaboration vendor, now offers the Microsoft Outlook Add-in, allowing users to easily browse and share files securely from both public and private data clouds, including DropBox®, Box®, SharePoint, Amazon S3, local files, or over 30 other data clouds.
In addition to the Outlook Add-In, Storage Made Easy provides flexible access and sharing anywhere, anytime, from the web, desktop or any device while simultaneously providing business the visibility and control required for safe file sharing. Secure, trackable and audited file sharing is also available from any SME desktop or mobile client as well as the Web File Manager. Users can upload new files directly from their desktop to any of the company data sources and implement a secure auditable link.
The SME Outlook email add-in enhances Microsoft® Outlook, one of the most popular desktop email clients for Windows users and provides the following features:
- Creates password-protected or time-expired trackable and auditable links on selected files.
- Audit details include information about who shared the file, the time, and the remote IP of the user who downloaded it.
- Ensures easy access to and selection of files for attachment.
- Enables direct-from-Outlook access to any cloud file mapped to Outlook.
- Can upload files to any cloud and send a link.
The Outlook Add-In is available for business SaaS and on-premise business cloud platforms and also for personal cloud accounts. Auditable links are available only as part of the business cloud packages.
About Storage Made Easy Storage Made Easy provides a cloud service data broker platform and related services either as SaaS or a hybrid on-premise solution. Storage Made Easy unites cloud and data services into a single environment, guaranteeing file access no matter the location or device while providing the highest levels of management, security, compliance, audit, and access services. Storage Made Easy is wholly owned by Vehera Ltd., a private London-based limited company. Further information can be found at http://StorageMadeEasy.com.