Visitors invited to western Colorado to bike, float, cruise and celebrate Colorado Wine Country
Grand Junction, CO (PRWEB) March 20, 2013
The Grand Junction Visitor and Convention Bureau (GJVCB) today announced four of the most unusual ways to explore Colorado Wine Country. As this list demonstrates, the ways visitors can taste wine in the Grand Valley – home to more than 20 wineries with tasting rooms – is as unique as the wines themselves.
1. Float: The Colorado River from Palisade to Corn Lake State Park is arguably one of the most scenic stretches in the Grand Valley. Book a trip with Palisade River Trips to float through the vineyards and orchards of the Palisade area. Take a guided trip, or those with river experience may rather rent a raft, kayak or canoe and self-navigate. The trip takes several hours depending on the river flow. Rates start at $40/day for rentals and $50/person for guided tasting tours, which run from April to October, twice a day.
2. Luxuriate: Sit in the lap of luxury and leave the driving to someone else by booking a limousine tour through Colorado Wine Country. Choose from just a few hours or book the limo for a full day. Picnic lunch and dinner specials can even be arranged.
3. Cruise: Pick up a map at the Grand Junction Visitor Center (740 Horizon Dr.) and plan a tasting tour on two wheels. The Grand Valley AVA samples the area’s local flavors and showcases the spectacular cycling opportunities. Follow the trail along the Colorado River from Palisade to the foot of the spectacular Colorado National Monument just west of Grand Junction. For a longer route head south on Highway 50 past Delta to the wineries near Olathe, the sweet corn capital of the world. Please note: drinking and driving laws apply to cycling as well as driving.
4. Celebrate: Make a toast to the wines of the Grand Valley by taking part in one of the many wine-related festivals throughout the year.
- April 19: Girls Scouts 3rd Annual Cocktails & Cookies Creations, Grand Junction
Tickets are $50 and proceeds benefit the Girls Scouts.
- April 27-28 and May 18-19: Spring Barrel Tasting, Palisade
Highlights include behind-the-scenes winery and vineyard tours, gourmet meals, wine tastings and barrel samplings. Tickets are $70.
- September 19-22: Colorado Mountain Winefest, Palisade
This annual festival features food, wine, seminars, live music and a grape stomp.
For more information on planning a trip to Colorado Wine Country download the new eBook.