Hauppauge, NY (PRWEB) March 20, 2013
Target Rock Advisors has named Sempra Energy as the industry leader in utility sustainability, announced last night during the ‘State of Energy’ dinner at the EnergyBiz Leadership Forum in Washington, DC. For the second year in a row, Sempra placed first for their overall performance and management of the classic pillars of sustainability; environmental, economic and societal interests.
Sempra Energy was selected from a universe of approximately 150 publicly traded US-domiciled utilities and industry-related energy companies, representing some 350 distinct operating subsidiaries. Sempra will also remain a component of Target Rock’s Sustainable Utility Leadership Index (SULI), a proprietary stock market index designed to aid in sustainable and socially responsible investing. The SULI Index is computed daily by S&P Dow Jones Indicies and streamed to Bloomberg and other requesting third parties.
The Target Rock results indicate that Sempra has excelled in a number of areas relative to its peers, including; operating efficiency, the quality of generated and purchased power, energy efficiency and demand side management, and emissions and emissions reporting. Sempra also scored high marks in the customer, philanthropy and community investment categories. “It’s not just about environmental awareness or reporting transparency,” said Mr. Rudden, “Sustainability is about the full range of interactions a company has with all of its stakeholders, and Sempra’s efforts are paying off; Sempra’s shares posted the highest total return in 2012 (32%) among all energy utilities in our sustainability assessment focus group”.
Historically, as a group, the utilities that rank high in the Target Rock Index have tended to outperform their peers. Over the ten years ended December 31, 2011, the Target Rock Sustainable Utility Leadership Index would have outperformed both the utility indexes and the broad market indexes. “By improving the line of sight between sustainability and stock performance, Target Rock provides significant value to both the utility industry and financial community.” Stated Rudden. “Investors can use the Target Rock Index to identify utilities for inclusion in sustainable portfolios and utilities can use the comparative statistics on which the scores are based as sustainability benchmarks for self-assessment, performance improvement and planning. Target Rock’s suite of analytics and consulting services can help utilities tell their story to regulators, investors, equities analysts and other stakeholders.”
- Sustainability is a growing public concern and relates positively to better utility stock performance
- High sustainability performance helps a utility improve regulatory relationships, create pride in employees, and generally enhances brand image and stakeholder relations
- Target Rock‘s proprietary sustainable utility index, the “Target Rock Sustainable Utility Leadership Index (SULI)” comprises the 24 top performing sustainable utilities in Target Rock’s ranking analysis. The Index is computed daily by S&P Dow Jones Indicies* and streamed to Bloomberg and other requesting parties
- Target Rock Advisors are experts in the utility industry, specializing in identifying and enhancing sustainable practices and advantages. The team has over 250 cumulative years of energy industry experience
- The Target Rock Advisors detailed 2013 report on Sempra Energy and other companies will be available online from CSRHub around mid-April. For a free 2012 sample report and access to additional reports visit: http://www.targetrockadvisors.com/csrhub-alliance.
About Target Rock Advisors
Target Rock Advisors, LLC provides research, data and analytics, as well as related consulting services to utilities, the financial community and other related industries Target Rock explores the complex relationship between the elements of the classic pillars of sustainability: environment, economy and society, also referred to as the triple-bottom-line. The Target Rock sustainability assessment, scoring and ranking processes draw from a complex benchmarking model containing over 2 million data points and over 400 performance indicators. The Target Rock Sustainable Utility Leadership Index* tracks the aggregate stock market performance of the top-performing companies chosen from Target Rock’s assessment and ranking process. Data from the company’s assessment and ranking process also helps utilities by providing benchmarks for achievement in a wide variety of sustainability-related activities.
For more information visit http://www.targetrockadvisors.com.
- The Sustainable Utility Leadership Index (SULI or the “Index”) is the exclusive property of Target Rock Advisors, LLC, which has contracted with S&P Opco, LLC (a subsidiary of S&P Dow Jones Indicies LLC) (“S&P Dow Jones Indicies”) to calculate and maintain the Index. S&P is a registered trademark of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC (“SPFS); Dow Jones is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings, LLC (“Dow Jones”); and these trademarks have been licensed to S&P Dow Jones Indicies. “Calculated by S&P Dow Jones Indicies” and its related stylized marks have been licensed for use by Target Rock Advisors, LLC. Neither S&P Dow Jones Indicies, SPFS, Dow Jones nor any of their affiliates shall be liable for any error or omissions in calculating the index.