Follow companies and professionals on Social Media— it will give you insight as to what “a-day-in-the-life” is like.
Medina, OH (PRWEB) March 22, 2013
With graduation right around the corner, we thought we would give students and even professionals of the Supply Chain and Logistics industry a little edge over their competition in the job market. The following are tips straight from our leadership team, which boasts over 70 years of experience, to help you stay one step ahead.
10 Tips for Getting Ahead in a Supply Chain Career:
1. Subscribe to industry magazines and newsletters for the latest hot topics and trends— most are free! Staying current on industry news on both national and international levels will improve your ability to voice your opinions intelligently.
2. Reach out to seasoned professionals in your area and ask for an informational interview. Always make a conscious effort to connect and expand your professional network.
3. Follow companies and professionals on Social Media— it will give you insight as to what “a-day-in-the-life” is like.
4. Having internships and relevant classroom experience is key to getting hired— employers look for experience above all else.
5. In a similar vein… save your projects, that way you can present your success and experience in an interview.
6. Ask Questions! It is the best way to learn.
7. Join local professional clubs/organizations, such as CSCMP (Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals)— many offer a discounted or free student membership. Most organizations have regularly schedules luncheons and dinners featuring practitioners from the industry.
8. Explore different areas of study or career opportunities in supply chain such as IT, Finance, Purchasing, Trade Compliance and Legal.
9. "Learn the Language"— understand how businesses operate from not only a manufacturing/operations side but also from the financial side. This truly helps you piece together how important the supply chain is in an organization.
10. Blog! Public or private is up to you— it will keep you concentrated on the news, challenge you to draw opinions and predictions and develop your writing skills on the material. It is a nice little electronic portfolio as well.
About Scott Sheldon, LLC
Scott Sheldon, LLC has provided world-class supply chain solutions, specializing in the integration of supply chain technologies for global companies. The company is a pioneer in agile supply chain business and technology optimization methodologies that result in rapid ROI and lean operation results. They bring a can-do, no nonsense, engineering approach to tactical and strategic supply chain projects for our clients. Based in Medina, Ohio, they have international experience across many industries and specialize in Health Care, CPG & Retail, and Industrial. Visit our website to learn more: http://www.scott-sheldon.com