Dr. James Sublett, section chief of the pediatric department at the University of Louisville, says, “Many allergy sufferers assume their symptoms are caused by pollen, when they’re actually mold.
Mount Laurel, NJ (PRWEB) April 01, 2013
Sneezing. Coughing. Itchy eyes and skin. Minor swelling. All of these are symptoms of Hay Fever, the annual annoyance over forty million Americans deal with every summer, according to a recent report by WKRG News 5. Most victims of the common allergy blame pollen as the source for their sniffles. Dr. James Sublett, section chief of the pediatric department at the University of Louisville, says, “Many allergy sufferers assume their symptoms are caused by pollen, when they’re actually mold.”
Mold is a pesky fungus that grows by the colony wherever damp, humid and dark conditions are present. There are literally tens of thousands of types of mold. Mold gains its energy to grow by consuming the properties of organic items like wood, grass, carpet fibers and even newspapers. Areas like basements, attics, kitchens and bathrooms are all likely candidates to house thousands upon thousands of mold spores, seeds that reproduce into the fungus that wreaks havoc on allergy sufferers.
Mold grows outdoors as well. By consuming organic matter like dead leaves, grass, and plants, mold lingers in places that are least expected. For instance, after mowing the lawn, clippings should be raked and bagged. This will prevent mold growth on the dead grass that stays in the yard, cutting down on the risk of a Hay Fever outbreak. Outdoor occurrences that risk the integrity of the inside of the home must also be addressed. Leaky roofs, piping, drainage and walls should be repaired immediately to prevent mold from growing in the home.
What happens when mold actually does make its way into the home? Many questions can be answered by mold experts like SI Restoration, who have over twenty years of experience with mold remediation. The answers to frequently asked questions often prove to be useful when preventing mold growth in the home. However, mold remediation is necessary should the situation get out of hand.
Hay Fever, like any other hypersensitive bodily reaction, can be caused by other allergens as well. Personal physicians and allergists can perform skin tests to find out exactly which type of fungi is responsible for a person’s allergies. If mold happens to be the culprit, being proactive about protecting the indoor and outdoor environments of the home is crucial.
1. Safety First – Be sure to always wear respirators, goggles and gloves when cleaning areas possibly affected by mold. If mold is found during cleaning, contact a remediation specialist immediately.
2. Remove common organic materials like paper and cardboard from mold-prone areas. These items actually promote mold growth, providing a substance suitable for colonization. Expect these items to be completely destroyed once they are exposed to mold.
3. Regular cleaning will help make spaces inhabitable for mold.
4. Open windows, doors and vents regularly when the atmosphere is dry. Damp air will be forced to escape along with mold spores.
5. Install dehumidifiers. Portable and cost-effective, dehumidifiers can help make the atmosphere less damp even if the weather is not cooperative.
Hay fever, and all of its annoyances, can be conquered after all. Ensure that after all prevention methods have been exhausted, acquiring the services of an expert mold remediation specialist is on the to-do list should the situation become more severe.