Tablets attract affluent consumers and a ready-to-buy mentality—retail brands put themselves at a huge disadvantage by offering a recycled experience from other platforms.
New York, NY (PRWEB) April 02, 2013
Today, L2 released Intelligence Report: Tablets, “The New Purchase Path: Swipe, Tap, Own.” To date, tablet strategy for retailers has been an adjunct to development efforts on the PC and smartphone. As tablets continue along the most successful adoption trajectory in history—and begin to surpass all other devices in terms of shopper influence—retailers must reconfigure priorities. “The New Purchase Path: Swipe, Tap, Own” examines key data, trends, and insights, identifying strategies for retail brands to maximize potential on the tablet platform. This inaugural report, authored by Scott Galloway, NYU Stern Clinical Professor of Marketing, and a team of researchers at L2 Think Tank, assesses tablet data from 60 retail brands over the past year.
"Tablets attract affluent consumers and a ready-to-buy mentality—retail brands put themselves at a huge disadvantage by offering a recycled experience from other platforms."
–Scott Galloway, L2 Founder, NYU Stern Clinical Professor of Marketing
- Only 13 percent of retail brand sites support any touch-and-swipe functionality beyond scrolling.
- The average retail brand site takes 4.38 seconds to load on a tablet—2.5 times longer than on a desktop.
- One in three retail brands does not support “cart continuity,” forcing shoppers to start over when switching devices mid-transaction.
- Only 21 percent of retail tablet apps incorporate deals or offers—key tools in capturing the attention of multitasking tablet users.
- 83 percent of commerce-enabled tablet apps require a hand-off to a browser to complete a transaction.
- Only 14 of the 60 retail brands in the report feature an iPad app among the Top 200 Free Apps in iTunes’ “Lifestyle” and “Catalogs” categories.
To download an excerpt of the report: http://www.l2thinktank.com/research/tablets-retail-2013/
To watch our animated video with additional findings: http://vimeo.com/l2thinktank/tablets2013
L2 is a think tank for digital innovation that helps prestige brands navigate the digital marketing landscape through events, research, and advisory services. The L2 Digital IQ Index® is the global, seminal benchmark for digital performance of brands and the largest and most robust study of its kind. Rankings are published annually across numerous industries, including: Luxury, Beauty, Retail, Travel, Spirits, Auto, and consumer packaged goods. For more information, visit: http://www.l2thinktank.com. For all membership inquiries, please email membership(at)l2thinktank(dot)com.