Medical technology changes constantly. When I see something that will make me a better surgeon and makes surgery easier on my patients I take notice. - Stanley Friedell, MD
Chicago, IL (PRWEB) April 04, 2013
Northwestern Women’s Health Associates is pleased to announce that Stanley Friedell, MD is certified to perform laparoscopic hysterectomies assisted by the da Vinci® robot. The da Vinci® robot is a state-of-the-art surgical system that brings advanced clinical benefits and efficiency to the operating rooms that utilize the tool.
Northwestern Women’s Health Associates is a medical practice specializing in obstetrics and gynecology. Stanley Friedell, MD is joined by four other physicians who work in the Chicago office.
According to Stanley Friedell, MD becoming certified to perform surgeries with the assistance of the da Vinci® robot was in the best interest of the patients of Northwestern Women’s Health Associates.
“Medical technology changes constantly. When I see something that will make me a better surgeon and makes surgery easier on my patients I take notice. This is exactly what the da Vinci® robot does. With the assistance of this surgical system laparoscopic hysterectomies are easier for my patients to recover from and as a surgeon I appreciate the improved view of the operating area and precise dexterity for optimal performance. I feel that it makes laparoscopic surgery more efficient.”
What is the da Vinci® robot?
The da Vinci® robot is an advanced surgical system that provides the doctor with a 3D, high -definition view of the operating area with 10x magnification. The superior visuals are accompanied by a surgical dexterity that rivals even the human hand.
There are many more benefits of the da Vinci® robot including:
- Enhanced 3D, high-definition vision of operative field with up to 10x Magnification
- New optional dual console allows second surgeon to provide assistance
- Superior visual clarity of tissue and anatomy
- Surgical dexterity and precision far greater than even the human hand
- Updated and simplified user interface to enhance OR efficiency
- New ergonomic settings for greater surgeon comfort
A laparoscopic hysterectomy is just one of many surgeries that can benefit from the use of the da Vinci® robot. The hysterectomy is the second most common surgery in women with approximately 600,000 hysterectomies performed each year.
What is laparoscopic surgery?
A laparoscopic surgery is performed by making several very small incisions in the operating area. A camera is then used to help guide the doctor through the area to complete the surgery without opening the patient up as much as a traditional surgery would involve.
There are four common methods for performing a hysterectomy and each has a different anticipated recovery time.
1. Abdominal hysterectomy – This type of hysterectomy will take a patient 4-6 weeks to recover. This has the longest recovery time of all the methods because it requires an incision be made in the abdomen through which the cervix and uterus are removed.
2. Vaginal hysterectomy – The recovery from a vaginal hysterectomy is 3-4 weeks. The uterus is removed by making a small incision in the patient’s vagina. This method removes the uterus through the vagina. This method cannot guarantee removal of ovaries if needed.
3. Laparoscopic hysterectomy using straight laparoscopic instruments—Recovery is 2-3 weeks. When adhesions, larger fibroids, or abnormal anatomy is present, this may be more difficult.
4. Laparoscopic hysterectomy assisted by the da Vinci® robot – Laparoscopic hysterectomies have become the most effective and least invasive method to perform a hysterectomy. When assisted by the da Vinci® robot the recovery is only 3 weeks. The 3D, high-definition view and superior dexterity, make robotic surgery more efficient.
There are circumstances where any one of these techniques may be the best choice for the patient. However medical advancements allow a hysterectomy to be done with much smaller incisions when it is done laparoscopically. This allows the body to recover more quickly. The da Vinci® robot takes laparoscopic hysterectomies to another level offering the best possible scenario for the patients of Northwestern Women’s Health Associates.
About Northwestern Women’s Health Associates
The obstetrics and gynecology professionals at Northwestern Women’s Health Associates are committed to providing you with timely and complete personalized care. Your comfort, convenience and privacy are of the utmost importance. The da Vinci® Si™ is just one example of how our highly experienced and skilled medical practitioners utilize the latest technologies to provide outstanding women’s health care.