Bohemia, NY (PRWEB) April 29, 2013
In order to educate consumers about the measures of quality in extra virgin olive oil, Flavor Your Life issues a report regarding its classification and organoleptic characteristics.
Due to the recent global olive oil shortage, many restaurants and manufacturers have been compromising olive oil authenticity by diluting real olive oil with cheaper substitutes like soybean or sunflower oil.
A chemical analysis determines the sale category of the oil by measuring its acidity. Peroxides also indicate the level of oil preservation. Oil that has a lower number of peroxides is considered to be of higher quality.
Flavor Your Life provides specific terminology when classifying olive oil:
- Bitter- A typical characteristic of oils made from green olives.
- Harmonious- Gives a sense of perfect balance between the fragrance and flavor.
- Sweet- A pleasant, continuous flavor. Soft and gentle with a dense paste.
- Fresh- Tastes like a freshly squeezed fruit due to its subtle aromas.
- Fruity- Reminiscent of fresh and healthy olives picked in a perfect shade of maturity.
- Intensely fruity- More prominent fragrances.
- Mature fruit- Oil produced from mature olives, giving it a light and sweet fragrance.
- Soft- Oil that gives a pleasing, pleasant and soft feeling.
- Spicy- A tingly or sharp flavor. A distinctive characteristic of a quality natural product that has low acidity and has maintained all of its nutritional properties.
- Full- A balanced oil with very low acidity.
- Lively- Oil that has a strong, well-defined personality and a good fruity flavor.
Flavor Your Life, a campaign supported by the European Union, Unaprol and the Italian Ministry of Agriculture, is dedicated to providing the latest in industry news and health information about European extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil enhances the flavors of your recipes while providing health benefits. Flavor Your Life, the voice of extra virgin olive oil production quality control, aims to educate consumers so they can make informed decisions when purchasing extra virgin olive oil.