According to the Consumer Federation of America, the top five worst scam-related complaints involve mortgage-related problems, home improvement, timeshare sales, Internet sales, and fraud.
Las Vegas, NV (PRWEB) April 25, 2013
According to the Consumer Federation of America, the top five worst scam-related complaints involve mortgage-related problems, home improvement, timeshare sales, Internet sales, and fraud. With home improvements heightening during the spring season in Nevada, American Best Agency is encouraging residents to stay safe and avoid scams relating to construction projects.
Whether the home improvement scammers come in groups or as individuals, they will be soliciting services such as asphalt paving or roofing projects. Most often, these people will approach homeowners working in their front yards and by going door-to-door in neighborhoods. Their sales pitches will involve high pressured sales tactics, offering their services at a greatly reduced price. Keeping this in mind, American Best Agency reminds consumers to be skeptical of salespersons approaching them at their homes. If local residents are looking for contractors to assist with home improvement projects, the agency encourages them to remember the following safety tips:
- Always hire a licensed contractor.
- Be cautious about letting a stranger inside the house, especially if it is a door-to-door solicitor.
- Older homeowners are at a higher risk for home improvement scams than younger homeowners because they are likely to be home during the day when scammers tend to target victims.
- Elderly homeowners are more likely to live alone or may have physical or mental issues, putting them in a vulnerable position when it comes to home improvement fraud.
- Only conduct business with a legitimate contractor that has already been contacted before construction begins.
- Collect written, detailed quotes for the repairs prior to any work getting started.
- Do not be afraid to call the police if circumstances feel uncomfortable or threatening.
- Ask to see a certificate of insurance or bonding certificate from the contractor at the door if the conversation seems suspicious.
If the solicitor has his eye on a valuable item, he will do whatever it takes to gain access into the house. This is why it is so crucial to remain protected at home and follow the tips provided by American Best Agency. If residents feel they require more security, they can contact the agents for a free home insurance quote. The team will take the time to understand individual needs and offer customers the right coverage that fits specific budgets and lifestyle needs. Call 877-889-832 today for more information on a customizable policy!
About American Best Agency:
Established in 1998, American Best Agency has quickly grown to one of the largest providers of personal and business insurance in Nevada. The agency’s professional staff is focused on providing its clients – and the local community – with the highest quality coverage products, prompt services, and competitive Nevada insurance quotes. Service, whether it is in response to an insurance claim or general question, is the most important value American Best Agency offers you. The agency works hard to build trusted relationships with its customers, striving to make you feel both comfortable with and confident in their abilities by acting as your consultant.