...tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of death around the world – killing one in 10 adults worldwide.
Natchitoches, LA (PRWEB) May 27, 2013
In Louisiana, the law makers are looking to drive people away from smoking. On Monday, Rep. Harold Ritchie pulled his proposal to boost Louisiana’s cigarette tax. The legislation, which was shelved before a vote could take place, looks to raise the tax from 36-cents per pack to $1.41, according to The Town Talk.
Citing not having enough support, Ritchie pulled the legislation before it reached the floor for a vote. Across the state, convenience store owners, the tobacco industry, and even anti-tax groups opposed the measure. However, supporters of the tax hike feel it would reduce smoking and health-care costs due to illnesses related to smoking. According to the World Health Organization, tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of death around the world – killing one in 10 adults worldwide. Currently, Louisiana’s tobacco tax is among the lowest in the country. Opponents don’t believe that higher prices will drive people away from smoking. But if individuals are trying to quit, they don’t need a tax hike. The local insurance agents at Cunningham Financial Group have some advice to help cut the habit, and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
- Figure out reasons for quitting and write the reasons down. Setting attainable goals is imperative to your success.
- Share plans with people who care – they can support efforts and offer encouragement.
- Quitting “cold turkey” is often unsuccessful. Nicotine is addictive and that means that quitting cold turkey can lead to withdrawals. The more effective way to quit smoking is to slowly remove nicotine.
- What triggers smoking? Remove those triggers.
- Remove anything that may be a reminder of smoking – this means lighters, ashtrays and even household items that may smell of tobacco.
- Physical activity has been proven to reduce nicotine cravings. Quit smoking and implement a new fitness routine in place of it. Let a new, positive health habit replace the old, bad one!
Quitting smoking lowers the chances of tobacco related illnesses and in many cases, can result in lower health insurance rates. Residents looking to review their insurance as it relates to smoking, or learn about more effective ways to quit are encouraged to give the local agents at Cunningham Financial Group a call today.
About Cunningham Financial Group:
Proudly located in Natchitoches & Mansfield LA, Cunningham Financial Group is the area’s leading local insurance agency; dedicated to serving the insurance needs of Louisiana individuals, families and businesses for over 75 years. As a well established agency, Cunningham Financial Group represents various nationwide insurance carriers, allowing its dedicated agents to effectively compare rates and coverage to ensure clients receive the quality protection they deserve. The agency’s broad network of providers ensures that they can secure superior Louisiana insurance, and the most affordable online insurance quotes, for all coverage needs.