Melville, NY (PRWEB) May 02, 2013
John Mantione, vice president and general manager of Fields BMW operations in central Florida, said today its dealerships streamline service operations and have reduced OEM warranty chargebacks by using paper-free Scanless Automatic Filing Engine (SAFE) digital paper-free archiving and storage technology from Canon Solutions America.
Mantione said his central Florida Fields stores now use this powerful technology, which is at the core of Canon’s Intelligent Dealer Electronic Archive System (IDEAS), to eliminate paper repair orders and supporting documents to improve service department productivity.
“BMW warranty audits often require 40 or more pages of supporting documents, which too often resulted in chargebacks, and we were spending too much time and too many people looking through all this paperwork for the supporting repair order documents required to satisfy our warranty claims and avoid losing valuable warranty claim dollars,” Mantione said.
“We often couldn’t find all the paperwork required and chargebacks were costing us warranty revenue for the particular audited dealership,” he said.
“Canon’s SAFE technology automatically captures, categorizes and indexes repair order documentation, without the need to print and scan the documents. Warranty documentation is automatically validated to ensure all the information required by an OEM is present before a repair order is committed to the archive.”
Technologies like IDEAS and the workflow improvement provided are hallmarks of more efficient and thus more competitive retailers in this evolving economy, experts say.
“Tools like this that consolidate repair order data and communication, much like electronic medical record technology does for healthcare patient data, are cutting edge,” said Marcey Uday-Riley, who consults with auto and heavy-duty truck dealerships, OEMs and suppliers for IRI Consultants, Detroit.
“Because dealership processes have historically been very time and paper intensive, the leaning or streamlining of the dealership to remove this waste and expense means identifying technology solutions like this paperless process,” she added.
Mantione said that because documents needed to satisfy a warranty audit are now digital – created, captured, archived and retrieved digitally – they are easily searched and always available.
Dealers cite these five reasons for using IDEAS with SAFE:
1. Significant reduction in OEM warranty chargeback costs. Canon’s IDEAS digitally creates and captures all repair order, diagnostic and parts documents and indexes them to prevent missing, misfiled or lost documents. Difficulty in locating, quickly or at all, paperwork to support warranty claims is a major reason for OEM warranty chargeback costs. Using IDEAS, dealers have reduced warranty chargeback costs to less than one percent – a huge reduction.
2. Improves bay turn, as fewer paper documents and paper handling, according to API International, may save each technician 50 minutes a day, improving tech productivity and service bay utilization.
3. Reduces paper printing, scanning, copying and handling – most of which wastes time, staff and money to process and then file. Because documents are digital, hardcopy filing needs are greatly reduced.
4. Keeps sensitive consumer financial information away from prying eyes. Used in conjunction with other privacy safeguards, IDEAS helps auto dealerships protect sensitive customer information.
5. Frees up staff once needed to file and search for misfiled or missing documents and frees up paper document storage space and budget for revenue-generating uses. Reduces document destruction costs.
As auto dealerships position to be more competitive, removing paperwork from their workflow and expense budget is good business. Canon’s IDEAS streamlines the service write-up and repair order process by creating a truly paper-free environment that is more productive and profitable for auto dealership service departments.
About Canon Solutions America, Inc.
Combining the strengths of the former Canon Business Solutions, Inc. and Océ North America, Inc., Canon Solutions America provides industry leading enterprise services, advanced production print technology and large format solutions supported by exceptional professional service offerings. Canon Solutions America helps companies of all sizes to improve their business by increasing efficiency, controlling costs and becoming more environmentally conscious. A wholly owned subsidiary of Canon U.S.A, Inc., Canon Solutions America is headquartered in Melville, NY, and has nearly 7,000 employees in over 130 offices across the country. For more information on Canon Solutions America, please visit csa.canon.com.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.