(PRWEB UK) 10 May 2013
International engineering consultancy Buro Happold used integrated engineering services including sustainability engineering, computational analysis and energy modelling to achieve the energy efficiency required to meet these exacting standards and the market demands of the building’s environmentally responsible client and tenant.
The four storey 208,000ft² building, designed by Stern Architects, is the new Philadelphia facility for the research based pharmaceutical and healthcare company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
“Buro Happold is very excited to be part of this project and to work with clients who want to push boundaries and lead by example,” said Buro Happold’s Denzil Gallagher, Principal in Charge of the project.
“The fact that we achieved LEED Platinum certification is testament to the design team, Liberty Property Trust and GSK working in unison from the start of the project. Using an interdisciplinary approach and sophisticated building analysis, we were able to focus on the key things that made the building Platinum, primarily the façade and mechanical systems, and to make them as energy efficient as possible to meet the goals.”
Buro Happold incorporated innovative systems to meet the rigorous standards required for a LEED Platinum rating including:
- A high performance façade that reduces heat loss, maximises daylighting and solar gain in the winter, and is shade oriented for cooling in the summer
- High efficiency electric lighting
- High performance, variable speed chillers and cooling towers; the chillers utilise a series counterflow arrangement that helps to reduce energy costs
- A ventilation heat recovery system using Enthalpy Wheel technology
- Displacement ventilation, and radiant floor heating and cooling systems for efficient energy consumption and air circulation in the main lobby area
- A smoke evacuation scheme to reduce exhaust air requirements by 50 per cent and lessen the use of roof equipment
- A Building Management System (BMS) that integrates amenities with the tenant systems
- A measurement and verification strategy that tracks the building’s energy consumption
Buro Happold provided MEP, fire, lighting, façade, and sustainability engineering services. The consultancy also provided computational analysis and energy modelling for the core and shell as well as energy modelling for the interiors.