LINCOLN, RI (PRWEB) May 03, 2013
Wildfires are currently burning throughout Southern California, and Amica Insurance reminds everyone to be aware of their exposure to wildfire risks, and to take steps now to protect their homes and property.
It’s important to realize that flames aren’t the only threat in a wildfire. The real danger often lies in hot embers that are blown by the wind. These can set fire to grass, trees, bushes and debris – or drift inside a house and cause it to burn from the inside.
That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing some wildfire safety tips from fire safety experts, so people can take steps now to help protect their homes and property:
- Maintain a fire safety zone or “ring of safety” at least 30 feet around your home. Keep the grass mowed. Maintain shrubs and other landscaping. Trim tree branches so they’re at least six feet above the ground. Avoid the use of wood bark and rubber mulch that can catch fire.
- Keep firewood, propane tanks, boats, RVs and other combustibles at least 30 feet from the home – outside of this safety zone. Avoid having playground equipment, arbors or trellises in this area as well.
- Clean debris from gutters, downspouts and the roof, if possible.
- Use flame-resistant materials on decks, patios and porches, and enclose or screen the area to keep it free of debris.
- Cover attic and crawlspace vents with 1/8-inch metal screens to help keep out burning embers.
People who live in areas at risk of wildfires also need to pay close attention to weather conditions that make it ripe for wildfires, and for reports of a wildfire that could place them at risk.
For more information about wildfire safety, refer to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety’s wildfire home assessment and checklist.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.