“We celebrate these extraordinary leaders not only for their deep passion for women’s rights, but also for their tenacious responses to the challenges of injustice.”
New York, NY (PRWEB) May 11, 2013
The Ms. Foundation for Women will honor its 2013 Women of Vision at its 40th anniversary celebration May 13 at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York. Prominent guests and speakers scheduled to attend include Gloria Steinem, Ashley Judd, Diane von Furstenberg, Marlo Thomas, Olympia Dukakis, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, Olympic skater Sasha Cohen, television host Tom Murro, entertainer Deborah Cox and actress Elisabeth Rohm.
Media seeking to attend must RSVP to cpetrone[at]ms[dot]foundation[dot]org. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit the Ms. Foundation for Women here.
The Gloria Awards: A Salute to Women of Vision – which pay tribute to Ms. Foundation co-founder Gloria Steinem – honor the remarkable achievements of women activists and leaders whose courage and leadership advance equality and justice on behalf of women, families and communities.
“We celebrate these extraordinary leaders not only for their deep passion for women’s rights, but also for their tenacious responses to the challenges of injustice,” said Ms. Foundation President and CEO Anika Rahman. “The Ms. Foundation is proud to honor these women who have so tangibly advanced equality at every level.”
The 2013 Women of Vision awardees are:
- Lauren Embrey, president and CEO of the Embrey Family Foundation, for her fierce determination to improve her community and the lives of women and girls nationwide.
- Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, for her uncompromising fight for civil rights and women’s equality.
- Diane von Furstenberg, founder of DVF Studio, for her unwavering commitment to women-centered philanthropy and mentorship.
- Melinda Wolfe, global head of professional development at Bloomberg, for her powerful dedication to diversity and professional development in the workplace.
We are also proud to honor the following Women of Vision awardees representing organizations supported by the Ms. Foundation for Women:
- Saru Jayaraman, co-founder of the Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York and co-founder and co-director of the Restaurant Opportunities Center United, for her advocacy in support of low-wage workers on issues including child care, the minimum wage, paid sick days, compliance with basic employment standards and lack of health care.
- Kierra Johnson, executive director of Choice USA, for her devotion to leadership development of youth in the reproductive justice movement.
The Ms. Foundation for Women presents the winner of the Marie C. Wilson Emerging Leader “People’s Choice” Award, selected online by popular vote for the first time:
- Sunny Clifford, a Native American reproductive rights advocate, for her bold and courageous leadership in the fight to ensure that emergency contraception is included in Indian Health Service clinics.
The Ms. Foundation for Women fights to eliminate barriers for every woman in the U.S. For40 years, we have worked tirelessly to secure women’s rights and freedoms with a special commitment to building the power of low-income, immigrant and women of color. At our core, we are advocates elevating women’s voices and our most pressing issues. We’re continually investing funds, time, expertise and training in more than 100 trailblazing organizations nationwide to secure a better future for ourselves, our families and our communities.
There is more to do. Join the conversation or make a donation at forwomen.org.