What You Need To Know About VA Survivor Entitlements

Share Article

The Federal Savings Bank informs veterans of survivorship entitlements.

VA and FHA home loans at The Federal Savings Bank

The Federal Savings Bank

The Department of Veterans Affairs provides a variety of benefits to family members of deceased or permanently disabled service members.

The Federal Savings Bank wants veterans to know that The Department of Veterans Affairs provides a variety of benefits to family members of deceased or permanently disabled service members. However, many families may not be aware of these resources, and survivors can only apply for benefits once they know they exist. Below are the important things to know regarding VA survivor entitlements. Visit the Federal Savings Bank online or call (877) 788-3520 for any questions.

Commemoration: When an honorably discharged veteran passes away, the VA offers many benefits related to the commemoration services.

Flags: An American flag will be provided free of charge by the VA. It can be laid on the coffin or accompany an urn in order to memorialize the veteran's service. Afterward, the flag will generally become property of the next of kin.

Other honors: By request, the Department of Defense will provide military honors at a funeral, such as folding the memorial flag and playing Taps. At least two uniformed service members will be available to perform the honors.

Grave markers: If the deceased is buried in a private cemetery, survivors can apply for a headstone or grave marker from the VA. If a family does not get the grave marker from the VA, an inscribed medallion can be provided instead, and attached to the headstone.

Pension: The VA provides a service called the Survivors Pension benefit or Death Pension. It gives tax-free funds to low-income, un-remarried spouses and unmarried children. However, there are a few requirements for eligibility.

Veteran requirements: He or she cannot have been dishonorably discharged. If he or she served on or before September 7, 1980, at least 90 days of active service is required. If the service was after that date, at least 24 months or the full period ordered is necessary.

Child requirements: In order to qualify for a pension, the child must be either under 18, under 23 at a school approved by the VA, or disabled permanently and unable to care for him or herself.

VA Home Loans: The VA backs part of the home loans of active service men, veterans and eligible survivors. Because of the department's guarantee to the lender, it is easier for these borrowers to get a loan, even if their credit score or income is not excellent. These mortgages generally get lower interest rates, as well. There are many options when it comes to VA home loans, so talk to a Federal Savings Bank loan officer for additional information.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

The Perfect Mortgage Experience
Follow us on
Visit website