“This quarter’s report uncovered how the increasing use of smartphones and tablets is influencing travel research and purchases, revealing significant cross-device behaviors," said JiWire's president David Staas.
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) May 22, 2013
JiWire, the leading location-powered mobile advertising and data platform, released the findings of its quarterly Mobile Audience Insights Report today. The Q1 Insights Report examines consumers’ mobile usage and location behaviors when booking travel-related services, in addition to cross-device adoption and Wi-Fi usage trends. Key report insights include:
- Multi-device usage is rapidly increasing for travel-related research and purchases
- 44% of consumers are willing to spend over $500 when booking travel from a mobile device
- Mobile apps are the preferred resource over mobile sites for travel research and purchasing
- Smartphone & tablet continue to lead the charge for public Wi-Fi connections
“Mobile continues to impact all aspects of consumer behavior, and we’re certainly seeing this shift with travel-related services, ”said David Staas, President, JiWire. “This quarter’s report uncovered how the increasing use of smartphones and tablets is influencing travel research and purchases, revealing significant cross-device behaviors. Understanding these trends will be important for advertisers and content developers to effectively engage their audience going forward.”
Cross-Device Adoption and Consumer Behavior
Multi-device usage is quickly becoming the norm in consumer behavior. This adoption and behavior evolution enables brands to engage their audience multiple times across devices with the same marketing campaign, thus increasing brand awareness, recall and ROI. JiWire’s research demonstrates:
- 52% of consumers used a mobile device when booking travel in the last 90 days
- Nearly 50% of active mobile consumers use their smartphone and tablet for travel research
- More than 55% of consumers book travel-related reservations for both current and future travel plans while traveling
Travel Purchase Behavior
With the proliferation of mobile devices, consumers rely on mobile technology more than ever to research and book travel plans. JiWire’s Q1 Insights report revealed:
- Close to 50% of consumers are willing to spend $500 or more when booking travel with their mobile device
- 52% of travel booked in the last 90 days was on a mobile device compared to 48% on a laptop
- Leisure travelers are more influenced by discounts and promotions when booking travel, while business travelers are more influenced by loyalty rewards programs.
- Branded airline and travel aggregator apps are the preferred choice (32%) for booking travel
Mobile Location and Public Wi-Fi Trends
Wi-Fi connections continue to increase, specifically with tablet usage growth surpassing laptop and smartphone usage for the second quarter in a row:
- Tablet usage is highest at airports (28%), but tablet growth was highest at hotels (64%) and cafés (44%)
- Smartphone public Wi-Fi access is highest at restaurants at 81%
- 60% of all public Wi-Fi connections were represented by mobile devices contributing to 33% growth year over year
About JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report
JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report is based on data compiled from three sources: a survey of more than 1,300 randomly selected customers across JiWire’s combined Wi-Fi and mobile advertising platform. The report is based on data collected from March 2013. Quarterly public Wi-Fi location rankings and business model distributions are based on the final day of the quarter.
JiWire is the leading location-powered mobile advertising and data platform. Leveraging proprietary historical and present location data, JiWire enables advertisers to effectively engage their desired audience across all mobile devices at scale.
With the belief that audiences are defined by location, meaning where you go is the best indicator of who you are and thus an excellent indicator of intent, the company’s mobile audience platform, Location Graph™ is an innovative, proven approach to mobile advertising delivering custom audiences with 4x higher performance and greater efficiency over traditional mobile targeting or geofencing approaches.
JiWire was recently selected as a Red Herring Top 100 North America finalist and awarded Frost & Sullivan’s prestigious 2012 Best New Product Innovation Award for Mobile Advertising; referenced as “One of the most accurate audience segment & profiling data sets in the industry.”
JiWire has been an innovative leader in evolving mobile advertising and delivering mobile audiences since 2003. Its data platform creates unique audience profiles from 12.3 billion location tags across 700 million devices including smartphones, tablets and laptops.