PALO ALTO, CA (PRWEB) May 23, 2013
CFEngine, Inc., a leading provider of Configuration Management Software, today announced that it has added support for OpenStack services to its rapidly expanding CFEngine Design Center. Design Center offers software defined templates, called "Sketches", for policies to automate the deployment, configuration and maintenance of IT services.
“Using the OpenStack Sketch from the CFEngine Design Center makes it very easy to define and manage OpenStack Compute instances,” says Ted Zlatanov, CFEngine’s Lead Engineer for Design Center. “The declarative nature of CFEngine allows for elastic scaling of instances based on workload metrics such as CPU-, memory- and disk-usage, as well as a range of user defined criteria. For instance, with CFEngine it is possible to scale up and down the number of OpenStack compute instances based on day of the week, time of the day, IP-addresses, subnets, workloads, host-names, architectures, response times or operating systems.”
"As a supporting organization of OpenStack since 2010, CFEngine is happy to see the momentum of OpenStack, and is committed to build out further support for OpenStack services on the Design Center platform," Product Manager Eystein Stenberg comments. “As more companies seek to improve their agility, the importance of automation increases. With CFEngine and OpenStack, IT organizations can set up policy-driven self-service portals, improve customer service, and free up time to work proactively on other tasks.”
CFEngine Design Center is growing rapidly
CFEngine Design Center is a curated repository of Sketches, templates for managing configurations of IT services. Using strict quality control, Sketches will only be accepted and published if they pass rigorous testing. The process also avoids the problem of template duplication, which leaves it to the user to figure out (for example) which of the many webserver templates is the right one for the situation. Syntax-testing and parameter validation of each sketch further reduces deployment risks.
Design Center offers Sketches for:
- Applications: Managing the life-cycle – deployment, configuration, teardown and reporting – of applications such as Memcached and Redis.
- Clouds: Managing public and private cloud services such as OpenStack and AWS
- Databases: Configuring databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite
- Monitoring: Integrating Configuration Management with monitoring services such as SNMP and Nagios
- Packaging: Integrating Configuration Management with SuSE, Red Hat, Debian, FreeBSD, AlpineLinux, Gentoo, ArchLinux, and Perl's CPAN package managers.
- Repositories: Integrating Configuration Management with managing YUM and APT repositories as well as managing repository sources like EPEL.
- System: Providing easy-to-use configuration for Sudoers, Syslog, Cron, Access, and more
- Security: Providing easy-to-use configuration for TCPWrappers, SSH, IPTables, File Integrity and more
- Webservers: Deploying and configuring webservers
(For a full listing of all available sketches, see https://cfengine.com/cfengine-design-center/sketches).
CFEngine is the industry leader in automation of large-scale, software defined IT-infrastructure. It helps IT organizations improve productivity in times of growing demands and constrained resources. With CFEngine IT organizations provision new services much faster, while providing continuous availability and security compliance. Known for its ability to handle scale and complexity, CFEngine enables even the largest organizations in the world to become more agile. CFEngine has users in more than 100 countries, including many of the world’s largest financial organizations, as well as companies like IBM, eBay, Cisco, Qualcomm, AMD, US Navy, US Energy Department, NASA AT&T, Chevron and Linkedin.
CFEngine is estimated to run on more than 10 million servers worldwide, executing billions of configuration checks every hour and automatically fixing thousands of system drifts that otherwise would have destabilized the infrastructure and required manual correction.