A large proportion of the British population do not take an active interest in maintaining their tyres, but I’m sure they would if they knew the road safety implications.
Edinburgh, UK (PRWEB UK) 24 May 2013
Despite the efforts of the tyre industry to educate drivers, over half of UK motorists do not carry out any form of tyre maintenance. That was one of several findings in a recent survey carried out by market research agency Opinion Matters on behalf of online tyre retailer Blackcircles.com.
Overall, the survey suggests an alarmingly low level of knowledge on the link between tyre maintenance and road safety.
Of the 1,176 participants in the survey, 67% did not know which model or brand of tyre was fitted to their vehicle. In the recent Opinion Matters survey commissioned by Blackcircles.com, it was found that 56% of participants do not carry out tyre maintenance themselves - 77% of women don’t check and maintain their tyres and are three times less likely to check and maintain their tyres than their male counterparts.
“A large proportion of the British population do not take an active interest in maintaining their tyres, but I’m sure they would if they knew the road safety implications,” said Michael Welch – Managing Director of Blackcircles.com.
“We want to see these numbers improve for the better, and we think the industry is turning a corner by providing a real commitment to raising awareness around the dangers associated with defective or illegal tyres.”
Knowing the tyres and how they perform is an important part of the decision making process when buying new tyres. Every tyre manufacturer has a wide range of different models within their catalogue. Each tyre model is different, having been designed to meet a specific set of needs including wet conditions, winter or longevity and fuel efficiency.
However, an understanding of tyres shouldn’t stop once they’re on a car. Being well versed in maintenance, or at the very least how to carry out safety checks, is a responsibility that many drivers seem to either not know, or simply not carry out.
Getting tyre maintenance right is important to both safety and fuel efficiency – as is stated on the Michelin Tyres website. A tyre with 5 pounds per square inch (psi) under inflation will take 5m longer to brake and tyres under inflated by 15 psi can increase rolling resistance, leading to around 6% greater fuel consumption.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Launched in 2001, Blackcircles.com is the leading UK online tyre retailer with an emphasis on competitive price points and added customer value such as Tesco Clubcard Points.
- With headquarters in the Scottish borders town of Peebles, Blackcircles.com has grown through strategic ventures and partnerships with independently owned garages.
- The Managing Director of Blackcircles.com is Mike Welch, former Head of e-Commerce at Kwik Fit. The Chairman of Blackcircles.com is Graeme Bissett, former Group Finance Director of Kwik Fit.
- Blackcircles.com sells a comprehensive range of tyres for cars, vans and motorbikes, including high performance and 4x4 tyres.
- The company has a UK network of over 1,400 fitting outlets from Thurso in Scotland to Truro in England, and sells to around 600,000 customers with a 98% satisfaction rating.