Vancouver, BC (PRWEB) May 23, 2013
Lumerical Solutions, Inc. (http://www.lumerical.com), a global provider of photonic design software, announced today its 2013b release which provides significant improvements to all of Lumerical’s products, and includes releases of FDTD Solutions 8.6, MODE Solutions 6.5, INTERCONNECT 3.0 and DEVICE 3.0. This 2013b release will reinforce Lumerical’s status as the most frequently referenced vendor of dedicated photonic design tools by R&D professionals.
“For ten years now, Lumerical has been working with the photonics community to create a shared vision of a better design framework for increasingly complex photonic components and systems,” according to Lumerical’s CTO, Dr. James Pond. “Today, with our 2013b release, we have taken yet another major step forward in providing a comprehensive set of photonic design tools able to model passive, active and nonlinear components both on their own, and within highly functional and complex circuits. From supporting the need for users to process large volumes of jobs on both public and private cloud computing systems, to enabling full 3D optoelectronic modeling of components like CMOS image sensors and high-speed integrated optical modulators, Lumerical is helping prepare photonics professionals for the design challenges of tomorrow.”
Release Highlights: Passive and Active Photonic Component Design
DEVICE 3.0 introduces true 3D electrical simulation and visualization with an advanced finite element drift-diffusion solver. Enhancements to performance, including support for multi-core CPUs, now allow engineers to rapidly create, simulate, and analyze virtual prototypes of active optoelectronic devices. MODE Solutions 6.5 introduces nonlinear and active material modeling to waveguide based components. These developments will benefit a wide range of designers, for example:
- CMOS image sensor pixel designers will benefit from complete 3D component simulation, and can accurately calculate performance metrics including dark current, quantum efficiency, spectral cross-talk as well as the transient response under switched illumination.
- High-speed modulator designers can now model the charge injected into complex geometries, and import those results into MODE Solutions 6.5 as a function of applied voltage to calculate insertion loss, modulation depth and 3dB modulation bandwidth.
- Waveguide component designers interested in waveguide nonlinearities, amplification and the response of such systems to applied transients can now use the Flexible Material Plugins previously released in FDTD Solutions within MODE Solutions 6.5.
“We are designing and processing Si integrated photonic components for circuits which need to function within larger scale systems,” according to Bruno Rauber, Senior Staff Engineer at STMicroelectronics. “We use Lumerical’s products to fine tune our silicon process, design highly optimized components, perform accurate parameter extraction, and to construct compact models that can be used for photonic circuit verification within EDA style design flows. We look forward to our ongoing collaboration with Lumerical to ensure their products can support our future design efforts.”
Release Highlights: Photonic Integrated Circuit Design
“Over the past year, I’ve been having in depth conversations with many groups who are actively designing photonic integrated circuits for operation within high speed electronic systems,” says Dr. Jackson Klein, Senior Product Manager for INTERCONNECT. “We have consistently been hearing that current EDA design capabilities lack a sophisticated treatment of photonic circuits, like that provided by INTERCONNECT. We’re collaborating with Mentor Graphics, Agilent Technologies, OpSIS and other parties to ensure that INTERCONNECT includes a number of features that are essential for next generation photonic integrated circuit design.”
INTERCONNECT 3.0 includes:
- The ability to import an optical SPICE netlist and create a corresponding PIC schematic, facilitating the analysis of optical circuit representations within third-party EDA tools including Mentor Graphics’ Pyxis.
- File transfer that supports Agilent Advanced Design System and Mentor Graphics Eldo time domain waveform formats.
- Enhanced support for the development of process design kits (PDKs) with the inclusion of an extensive library of customizable compact models and lookup tables containing design intent parameters.
- An expanded element library, including a ring modulator element for the fast and accurate simulation of cascaded rings and elements to better simulate the electrical portion of mixed-signal circuits.
More information regarding Lumerical’s products can be located online at http://www.lumerical.com/tcad-products/.
Since its inception in 2003, Lumerical has pioneered breakthrough simulation technologies that help bring new photonic product concepts to life. By empowering research and product development professionals with high performance photonic design software that leverages recent advances in computing technology, Lumerical helps optical designers tackle challenging design goals and meet strict deadlines. Lumerical's design software solutions have been licensed in more than 30 countries by global technology leaders like ASML, Bosch, Northrop Grumman, Olympus, Philips, Samsung, and STMicroelectronics, and prominent research institutions including Caltech, Harvard, Max Planck Institute, MIT, NIST, University of Tokyo and the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Discover how Lumerical can help you meet your own design objectives by visiting us online at http://www.lumerical.com.
Lumerical Solutions, Inc.
604-733-9006 Ext. 201