I feel honored to volunteer with the USO and spend time with our nation’s men and women in uniform," said Walsh. "This
trip means a lot to me personally, my father was ...
Arlington, VA (PRWEB) May 24, 2013
Twitter Pitch: Actors @KalPenn and @KateWalsh salute troops on @the_USO tour to SWA!
The USO deploys actor, producer and veteran entertainer Kal Penn along with actress/activist Kate Walsh on USO/Armed Forces Entertainment tour to the Middle East during Always By Your Side campaign. Duo to visit, uplift and spend time with hundreds of soldiers, sailors, Airmen, Marines and reservists in three countries over the course of seven days. This trip marks the third USO tour for Penn and the first for Walsh.
- Mid-way through their morale boosting USO visit, Penn and Walsh have lifted the spirits of more than 400 servicemen and women.
- During the tour, the duo is scheduled to visit a total of four military installations.
- Penn ventured on his first USO tour in 2009, when he visited troops in Djibouti, Bahrain and aboard the USS Eisenhower alongside fellow actors Zac Levi, Joel David Moore and Christian Slater. He followed up that experience with a USO tour to Hawaii and South Korea with former NFLer Chad Lewis in 2010. To date, the Penn has uplifted the spirits of 3,540 servicemen and women, and visited 12 military installations.
- Best known as ‘Kumar’ in the cult classic film series “Harold & Kumar” as well as ‘Dr. Lawrence Kutner’ on the former TV series “House,” Penn recently returned to acting following a 2-year sabbatical during which he served as an Associate Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement. Penn recently completed production on the British horror movie, “Dementemania” and NY-based independent film, “Sisterhood of Night;” he is also the host of “The “Big Brain Theory” on The Discovery Channel.
- Celebrated for her role as ‘Dr. Addison Montgomery’ on ABC’s “Private Practice” and “Grey’s Anatomy,” Walsh began her acting career in Chicago - where she studied at the renowned Piven Theatre Workshop. Walsh was seen most recently in “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” starring Emma Watson and “Angels Crest” with Mira Sorvino and Jeremy Piven. Adding to her list of acting credits, Walsh launched her own fragrance, Boyfriend® in 2010.
- The USO strives to deliver life-changing experiences for troops and their families around the world, like this Kal Penn and Kate Walsh USO tour to the Middle East. Visit uso.org and learn more ways the USO strives to always be by the side of those who need us most: our nation’s deployed troops, military families, wounded, ill and injured troops and their caregivers as well as families of the fallen.
Attributed to Kal Penn:
“Touring with the USO is one of the most rewarding experiences of all time. Nothing quite compares to the unique places you get to see, the personal stories you hear, the great things you learn, or the lifetime memories you walk away with. When I first started volunteering five years ago, I’ve witnessed first-hand how the USO is always by the side of our troops stationed around the world and I’m thrilled to be a part of something that special.”
Attributed to Kate Walsh:
“I feel honored to volunteer with the USO and spend time with our nation’s men and women in uniform. This trip means a lot to me personally, my father was a decorated Korean War veteran and I take great pride in his service. I look forward to expressing my gratitude to all those who currently serve this great nation.”
USO Photos: http://bit.ly/18bK2Zl
USO Fact Sheet: http://bit.ly/Y3YoUi
# # #
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, Clear Channel, The Coca-Cola Company, Grand Canyon University, jcpenney, Jeep, Kangaroo Express, Kroger, Lowe’s, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Procter & Gamble and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation and TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this patriotic mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.