Houston, TX (PRWEB) May 26, 2013
Gulf Coast Spine Care is now offering back surgery to help people improve their quality of life and find relief from the back pain they have been living with. They have board certified surgeons on staff that can treat a wide range of back pain. With more than 20 years of experience, they are the best team to trust when chronic back pain starts impacting quality of life, and have recently expanded their offerings of back surgery procedures.
When is back Surgery the Right Choice?
There comes a point when back surgery is the best course of action. People who have a condition that is causing debilitating pain to travel down into the legs, or who are experiencing numbness in the legs, are excellent candidates for surgery.
There are several surgeries available to correct all of these conditions and problems. The goal of back surgery is to relieve pressure on the spinal cord and nerves, correct the alignment of the spine, and even widen sections that have narrowed with time. The doctors at Gulf Coast Spine Care now use any of these surgical options to restore proper movement to the back:
- Discectomy – Removing a herniated portion of a disk to relieve pressure.
- Laminectomy – Removing the bone that is over the spinal canal. This enlarges the canal and is an effective treatment for spinal stenosis.
- Fusion – Permanently connecting bones to improve stability and reduce pain. It reduces range of motion, but the treatment is the best choice in some situations.
- Vertebroplasty – Injecting bone cement into compressed vertebrae to stabilize fractures and provide pain relief.
Evaluation and Management
There are several treatment options available to help people with their back pain. The doctors at Gulf Coast Spine Care start by diagnosing the source of the pain and advising the patient on their options. Some patients will just need pain management through medication or even nerve blocks. They will review the options and help patients determine the best course of action. Whether the patient chooses surgery or another option, the doctors at Gulf Coast Spine Care will help them manage their back condition.
Other conditions that are commonly corrected with surgery include bulging or ruptured disks, broken bones or damage to the spinal column, vertebral fractures and instability, and chronic pain that has not been relieved through other treatments.
There are also chronic conditions that may require surgery to correct. Coupled with their Sciatica treatments, Gulf Coast Spine Care is now well-equipped to remedy the following conditions.
- Scoliosis, a condition where the spine curves from side to side
- Kyphosis – An outward curving of the back that causes hunching and a hump-like appearance
- Spinal Stenosis – A narrowing of the spinal canal which typically results from arthritis and age
- Spondylolisthesis – A forward movement of spine segments
- Radiculopathy – inflammation and irritation of a nerve resulting from a herniated disk
- Degenerative disk disease – A gradual worsening of spinal health from normal wear and tear
When someone is suffering from chronic back pain, surgery may be the best option available to them. There are several surgeries available to treat various conditions, and the surgeons at Gulf Coast Spine Care will work with their patients to determine which treatment is the right one for their condition.
The team at Gulf Coast Spine Care has more than 20 years of experience in comprehensive spine care, and they are prepared to help patients manage their back pain through various treatment options and even surgery. Anyone interested in further information can find it on Gulf Coast Spine's website or can contact them directly by calling 877-395-8353.