A Special Needs Plan Reacts to Recent Article on the Cost of Autism on Families and How It is Imperative to Understand the Human Services and Government Benefit World

Share Article

A Special Needs Plan explains that most families struggle to find money to pay the cost of autism as outlined in a recent msn article, and why it is imperative families understand the human services and government benefit world.

News Image
Government benefits can help families offset this high cost of continued care

A recent msn article, "How Autism Can Cost Families Millions," suggests that as we experience the rise in the rates of Autism throughout our society, we many times can miss the underlying cost to families. A Special Needs Plan serves families with education, action, and support in special needs planning and offers advice surrounding planning for the future.

The Autism Society estimates that the lifetime costs for an individual with Autism can run as high as $3.2 million. This seems like quite a bit; however, many families begin intense therapy once a diagnosis occurs which many times can cost $40,000-$50,000 per year, and most of these therapies are paid out of pocket. Some families will get a “break” from the cost if their child is lucky enough to receive services from the public education system, but then the costs will rise again as their child graduates the educational system. For instance, caring for an adult with autism in a supported residential setting can cost $50,000 to $100,000 per year. Most families struggle to find money to pay these costs, which is why it is imperative families understand the human services and government benefit world.

Government benefits can help families offset this high cost of continued care; however, the family and the individual must qualify and continue to qualify for such benefits. This qualification is based upon the severity of the disability and financial qualification (for the benefits we are discussing). “Financial qualification” means the individual with autism cannot have more than $2,000 in their name. This seems ridiculous especially in light of the costs we discussed above. Nonetheless, it is true. A Special Needs Plan Founder Ryan Platt explains, “Many parents hear $2,000 limit, and they want to give up; however, there are ways to qualify for benefits, and ensure your child has access to more than $2,000 so he or she can live a high quality of life. You just need to know what to do.” Unfortunately, many parents do not know what to do, which translates into doing nothing. Ryan continues, “Easter Seals Living with Autism study told us that only 6% of parents have LifeCare Plan for their child. This leaves 94% of families with no plan, no security, and no direction. Our mission is to ensure that all those individuals who do not have the ability to support themselves are provided for properly. In order to reach that mission, the parents and families play a critical role, but they must have the right tools and the right education. This is why we created two websites, http://www.ASpecialNeedsPlan.com and http://www.SpecialNeedsKnowledge.org so that families can access the information they need to secure the future of their child.”

A Special Needs Plan
For more information about A Special Needs Plan please call 800-SN9-8610 or email
info(at)aspecialneedsplan(dot)com.

About A Special Needs Plan:
A Special Needs Plan was founded in 2006 as a special needs planning advisory firm. They offer special needs planning educational products, planning consultations to families, as well as educational workshops and seminars for families, organizations, and financial professionals. They are on a “Million Family Mission” to reach one million families with accurate and credible information, as well as offering advisory services to families’ across the country. A Special Needs Plan is passionate about helping to alleviate the anxiety surrounding special needs planning and transform that feeling of anxiety into a sense of empowerment, so that families are able to provide for their loved one with special needs, while at the same time provide for the whole family. To learn more, visit http://www.aspecialneedsplan.com.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Ryan Platt
Follow us on
Visit website