“The 2013 Watermark competition saw the most entries in its eight-year history,” said Amy Albert, editor of CUSTOM HOME and design editor of BUILDER. "And 'Raising the Stakes' is the common theme among the 2013 winners."
Washington, DC (PRWEB) June 10, 2013
BUILDER and CUSTOM HOME this week announced the winners of the 2013 Watermark Awards. Now in its eighth year, the program honors builders, architects, and designers for quality, innovation, and excellence in kitchen and bath design. “Raising the Stakes” is the common theme among the 2013 winners, which included projects that demonstrated a higher standard for production building, universal design that’s as handsome as it is accessible, and a friendlier take on modernism.
“The 2013 Watermark competition saw the most entries in its eight-year history,” said Amy Albert, editor of CUSTOM HOME and design editor of BUILDER. “The increase points to the essential role that kitchens and baths play in attracting buyers to a home. What’s more, there’s brisk activity in the remodeling sector, and business in many markets is improving slowly but steadily.”
Project of the Year is awarded to Sam’s Creek in Bridgehampton, N.Y. in the category of Kitchen in a Custom Home (over 5,000 sq. ft.). Designed by Bates Masi + Architects and built by Breitenbach Builders, Sam’s Creek is “full of great architecture and finely tuned details,” said the jury. Sleek yet warm, the cooking space is an inextricable part of the greater living area and a hard-working example of kitchen as household hub.
2013 Watermark Grand Award winners:
- Piper House Kitchen in Darien, Connecticut (designed and built by Sun Homes)
- Crosby Kitchen in Hillsborough, California (designed by TRG Architects and built by Allwood Construction)
- The Red Cottage Kitchen in Biwabik, Minnesota (designed by Rehkamp Larson Architects and built by Code Plus Construction)
- Crystal Springs Barn Kitchen in St. Helena, California (designed by SDG Architects and built by Team Built Construction)
- Pima Canyon Master Bath in Tuscon, Arizona (designed by John Senhauser Architects and built by Jeff Willmeng Homes)
- 274 Bragg Kitchen in Auburn, Alabama (designed by HILLworks and built by HF & L Construction)
- Woolworth Kitchen in Omaha, Nebraska (designed by Steven Ginn Architects and built by Craig Tuttle Construction)
2013 Watermark Award of Merit Honorees:
- Sink with a View in Washington, D.C. (designed by Treacy Eagleburger Architects and built by deMarne & Day)
- Pima Canyon Kitchen in Tucson, Arizona (designed by John Senhauser Architects and built by Jeff Willmeng Homes)
- Robin’s Way in Amagansett, N.Y. (Designed by Bates Masi + Architects and built by Brian Mannix Builders)
- 73rd Street Penthouse, New York, N.Y. (designed by Turett Collaborative Architects and built by Alcon Builders Group)
- Baileyana Powder Room in Hillsborough, California (designed by TRG Architects and built by Allwood Construction)
- Elizabeth Street Master Bath in Austin, Texas (designed by Alterstudio Architecture and built by Abode Modern Home Building)
- Tremont Kitchen in Cleveland, Ohio (designed by FORUM Architectural and built by B.R. Knez Construction)
- Westlake Kitchen in Austin, Texas (designed and built by Jauregui Architecture Interiors Construction)
2013 Watermark Special Focus Honorees:
- White Oaks Kitchen in Minneapolis, Minnesota (designed by Rehkamp Larson Architects and built by Dovetail Renovations)
- Crest Ridge Master Bath in Austin, Texas (designed and built by Tier 1 Group)
Watermark Award winners are selected from an open call for entries and reviewed by a panel of industry experts. Winners are featured in the June 2013 issue of BUILDER magazine, with expanded coverage on http://www.builderonline.com and http://www.customhomeonline.com. For more information about the competition or the entry process, contact Amy Albert at 202.736.3339.
Published by Hanley Wood, BUILDER is the leading brand in the residential construction industry and serves as the magazine of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). For more than three decades, BUILDER has provided essential news, information and resources about products, technologies, trends, regulatory requirements and best practices to help home building professionals innovate for success. With an integrated platform encompassing print, online and in-person, BUILDER is a trusted source for top builders, architects and other industry professionals across the country.
About CUSTOM HOME:
Published by Hanley Wood, CUSTOM HOME focuses on the art and craft of home design and is the leading resource for builders, architects, designers of one-of-a-kind homes, and interior designers. In print, online, and in person, CUSTOM HOME provides in-depth coverage of the latest design trends, new products and best practices and is a trusted source for high-end home building professionals.
About Hanley Wood:
Hanley Wood, LLC is the premier media, event, information and strategic marketing services company serving the residential, commercial design and construction industries. Through its operating platforms, the company produces award-winning digital and print publications, Newsletters, websites, marquee trade shows and events, market intelligence data and strategic marketing solutions. The company also is North America's leading publisher of home plans.