The price of zircon sand experienced a sharp correction during 2012.
(PRWEB) June 06, 2013
TZ Minerals International (TZMI) is pleased to announce the release of the Zircon Annual Review 2013.
Each year TZMI releases a suite of four reports providing a comprehensive, in depth and independent analysis of each of the sectors in the TiO2 value chain. These reports are the Zircon Annual Review, Titanium Feedstock Annual Review, TiO2 Pigment Annual Review and Titanium Metal Annual Review.
The Zircon Annual Review 2013 provides an analysis of events in the zircon industry in 2012, including up-to-date commentary and independent review of end-consumers, supply and demand, new projects and new sources of supply, extensive profiles of all industry participants, as well as an outlook for coming years while identifying key trends and developments and impacts on a global scale.
Zircon is commonly found in alluvial deposits in conjunction with other heavy minerals, most typically titanium minerals. The majority of zircon is produced as a co-product of titanium mining in heavy mineral sands deposits.
The value chain for zircon covers three stages:
- Mining and processing to produce zircon sand;
- Further processing to produce milled zircon or simple zirconium chemicals; and
- Incorporation of milled zircon or zirconium chemicals into complex final products.
Approximately 70% of zircon sand is milled into flour or opacifier prior to end-use; 20% is processed into zirconium chemicals prior to end-use; and 10% is used directly in end-use applications.
Australia and South Africa together accounted for 66% of world production in 2012, while China accounted for 15%.
There are four main uses for zircon:
- Ceramics (mainly in tile production) is the main driver for zircon demand;
- Specialty chemicals and materials where demand is growing, particularly for the zirconium metal and chemical zirconia used in auto catalysts and technology driven applications;
- Refractories and foundries; and
- Other minor uses.
The price of zircon sand experienced a sharp correction during 2012. In light of the worsened market conditions, 2012 witnessed no new projects and the reduction of output and mothballing of several others. However, TZMI expects an improvement in prices and demand in coming years following a fairly flat 2013.
The information contained in Zircon Annual Review 2013 is carefully researched drawing on TZMI’s extensive database. It is also an essential reference for the industry while identifying key trends and developments within the sector and the broader impact on a global scale.
This publication is an essential resource for all participants who are involved in zircon related activities or wanting to learn more about this dynamic sector, including:
- Zircon producers
- Zircon end-users including those in ceramics, refractories, foundries, and specialty chemicals and materials
- New producers
- Mineral sands producers and industry participants
- Financial industry (fund managers, hedge funds, investors and potential investors)
- Those interested in entering the sector
Orders for Zircon Annual Review 2013 are now being taken by TZMI. For more information please visit http://www.tzmi.com or call +61 8 9359 6000.
TZ Minerals International (TZMI) is a global, independent consulting and publishing company with offices in Australia, China, the US and South Africa. The strength of TZMI’s consulting services stems from extensive practical experience in the mineral sands, titanium dioxide and coatings industries and from a comprehensive database, which has been built up over many years.
TZMI has proven expertise gained from our consultants having many years of direct operating experience in the industry in chief executive, senior operational, analytical and marketing roles.
TZMI’s publications and data services support the consulting activities and ensure up-to-date, high quality and comprehensive data, analysis and information across the mineral sands, zircon and TiO2 pigment industries.
TZMI provides operational and technical expert advice on many areas including:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Market Assessments and industry analysis
- Due diligence
- Pre-feasibility studies incl. preliminary capital and operating cost estimation
- Competitive cost analysis and benchmarking
- Technical reviews and audits
- Resource assessments
- Physical separation test work
- Flowsheet development
- Customised data analysis and reporting
Tracey Kelly – Business Development and Marketing Manager
TZ Minerals International
E: tracey.kelly(at)tzmi(dot)com P: +61 8 9359 6000