Bolton, United Kingdom (PRWEB UK) 5 June 2013
Michelle Jannetta, from Bletchley, died at Milton Keynes Hospital on March 8, 2012, after taking an overdose of painkillers. During her stay in hospital she was cared for by unqualified healthcare assistants, she was wrongfully accused of faking her illness - she was therefore denied access to the antidote which could have saved her life. (1)
It is also alleged that her medical information was also written on the back of a glove, that was lost, and staff confused her blood samples with those from another patient.(1)
The coroner, Tom Osborne, commented on the case, stating that;
'There was a failure to undertake and report on her regular observations and a failure to recognise her deteriorating condition or the seriousness of her situation that resulted in a lost opportunity to render further effective treatment.’(1)
She was well known to the department’s staff but they failed to administer the antidote which would have counteracted the effects of the painkiller within minutes. She died at 11.20am after she stopped breathing.(1)
Commenting on the incident John King, Asons Exectuve commented that:
‘This is a remarkably unfortunate case. The attitudes of the staff were clouded by the fact that she was a regular attendee – however cases like this will continue to happen whilst our front line NHS patients are pushed to their limits. That said, this is still a rather dire case of medical negligence; who writes medical notes down on a surgical glove?’
Her family’s lawyer, Carolyn Lowe, stated that:
‘I can only hope that the family can take some comfort from knowing that as a direct result of Michelle’s death, the coroner has written to the Secretary of State for Health asking her to consider changing hospital policy so that observations taken in patients who are seriously ill, like Michelle , are to be carried out by trained nurses.
She told the MailOnline: ‘It is clear that due to staff shortages it has become general practice in hospitals for healthcare assistants to take nursing observations.
Joe Harrison, Chief Executive of of Milton Keynes Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said:
‘Michelle sadly passed away in our Accident and Emergency Department in March 2012. We are sorry that Michelle did not consistently receive the high level of care that we expect.’(1)
For those that would like to learn more about the medical negligence claims process, Asons Solicitors advise them to visit their website, where they provide detailed information on a range of conditions, misdiagnosis and medical malpractice. To find out more, visit http://www.asons.co.uk, or they can be contacted via their expert helpline on 0844 850 1062
(1) Woman, 31, died after being left with unqualified healthcare worker who mixed up blood samples and scribbled medical records on plastic surgical gloves - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2328978/Woman-31-died-left-unqualified-healthcare-worker-mixed-blood-samples-scribbled-medical-records-plastic-surgical-gloves.html?ito=feeds-newsxml – The Daily Mail
- ENDS –
About Asons Solicitors:
Asons Solicitors is a Bolton-based law practice that specialises in personal injury and industrial disease claims. Founded by brothers Imran Akram and Kamran Akram, Asons Solicitors has developed to become a young and dynamic law firm that delivers practical solutions to clients in times of difficulty. Their continued focus on their staff has seen them awarded with the Investors in People “Gold Award”; which is reflected in the professional and personable approach they take in working with clients. They strive to grow and to develop, and their supportiveness and attention to detail ensures that their clients use them time and again.
For further information contact: