As you can see in almost any bridal magazine it is the rare bride who is overly made up, in fact, it’s just the opposite.
Seattle, Washington (PRWEB) June 03, 2013
The dress is ready, the music entertainment booked, the hall rented, and the invitations mailed – summer wedding season is upon us. For a lot of women, that walk down the aisle is one of the most important, elegant moments of their lives. Putting all this together is a daunting task that takes months; then it all boils down to the final countdown to the wedding procession.
Every bride wants to look stunning on her special day. Making sure she’s the focus requires choosing the best makeup products and application techniques to create a picture perfect appearance. Plus it has to last all day with minimal touch-ups and look great in photos. That’s a lot to accomplish, but it can be done – Cosmetics Cop Paula Begoun and the Paula’s Choice Research Team have the tips and tricks to achieve perfect (and worry-free) wedding day makeup.
First lesson: less is more. As you can see in almost any bridal magazine it is the rare bride who is overly made up, in fact, it’s just the opposite. Dramatic smoky eyes, super-glossy lips, and trendy eyeshadow colors have their place, but not in wedding day makeup. The idea is to enhance a bride’s natural beauty, not overwhelm it. Years later, the photos from the big day will look fresh and timeless.
1. Start with a foundation that will hide skin’s flaws, yet still looks like your natural tone. We like MAC’s Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation ($33), a liquid foundation that dries to a soft matte finish and adds dimension to the face instead of looking flat.
2. Always set foundation with a sheer dusting of translucent pressed powder that has a soft matte finish. It’s also important to make sure the powder comes along to the ceremony and reception in case touch-ups are needed throughout the day. Some great powder options can be found on our list of Best Powders.
3. Choose long-lasting makeup formulas for the big day. A bride’s wedding day can be very long, indeed, and sweaty if it’s during the summer season – and a carefully assembled makeup bag needs to kept nearby (give that task to one of the bridesmaids you trust to help).
4. It helps to test out the makeup look several times before the big day to be sure it looks beautiful and lasts most of the day with minimal touch ups. Since wedding photos are usually taken in all kinds of environments, take pictures of the look with a flash, without a flash, indoors under harsh lights, and outdoors in natural light. That way any potential problems can be tweaked before the big day.
5. Waterproof mascara is a must for all those emotional moments during the ceremony and reception. Two favorites for length and clean definition: Maybelline Lash Discovery Waterproof Mascara ($7.29) or, if you feel like splurging, Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara ($30).
6. A long-wearing lipstick can also be a bride’s best friend. Sephora’s Color Lip Last lipstick ($12) is a fantastic semi-matte option that provides up to 9 hours of wear - even through a meal. Best of all, it doesn’t feel drying and fades evenly, leaving a lovely stain behind.
7. Be a softie when it comes to eye makeup and blush. Avoid overly glittery, shimmery makeup. Too much shine will photograph badly and can make the face look greasy, not glowing.
8. Choose neutral matte or semi-matte eyeshadow shades that add dimension and shape to the eye area, and leave the bolder colors for another day. Urban Decay has excellent matte eyeshadows that don’t look flat. The darker shades can be used as eyeliner to complement the overall eye look.
9. When it comes to blush, don’t be afraid to think pink. A blushing natural glow can enhance the look of any bridal gown. A soft subtle sheen of pale coral (great for red heads) or pink brushed over the apples of cheeks beautifully mimics a natural blush. We love NYX Cosmetics Powder Blush ($5), which provides great buildable color – and is a true beauty bargain. Prefer a cream-to-powder blush? Revlon PhotoReady Powder Blush ($12.99) is great, and long-wearing, too.
For more tips, tricks and product recommendations, visit CosmeticsCop.com.
# # #
Led by best-selling author and beauty expert Paula Begoun, the Paula’s Choice Research Team evaluates and reviews hundreds of skin-care and makeup products, in books such as Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me as well as online at CosmeticsCop.com. Combining cosmetics industry knowledge and expertise, Paula and her team have developed the Paula’s Choice line of state-of-the-art formulations based on reliable, published skin-care research. Products include skin-care, makeup, body and hair-care products, beauty tools, and accessories. All products are fragrance-free, cruelty free, and environmentally friendly.