Vista, Calif. (PRWEB) June 13, 2013
Who doesn’t love bright sunny rooms in their home? Well, what about classrooms, where kids spend so many hours of their lives? Studies show (Heshong Mahone) that students in classrooms with daylight actually perform better on tests and have higher attendance rates.
National Daylight Appreciation Day (June 21, 2013) was created as a way to increase awareness about the benefits of incorporating daylight in all aspects of our lives. Since daylight is free and energy efficient (no electric lights needed), there is a movement afoot to incorporate it everywhere from homes and offices to colleges, universities and schools.
- Several studies have shown that natural daylighting in schools increases student performance. One study, completed for the California Energy Commission, found that among 12 models considered, there was on average a 21% improvement in student learning rates from those in classrooms with the least amount of daylight compared to those with the most. (June 2009 – “ Boulder School Installs Daylighting Device” http://colorado.construction.com)
- Natural light contributes to increased concentration among occupants and positively affects their emotional well-being and overall mood. Studies reveal that students in rooms lit by an increased amount of daylight consistently progress 20 percent faster in math and 26 percent faster in reading. (May 2010 – “Untangling Daylighting and Mesh” http://www.edcmag.com)
Additionally, here are five of the many benefits of daylight:
- Reduce stress and anxiety: Stress levels can be reduced with the help of proper exposure to sunlight. Enjoying the sun can help us sleep better as we decrease our stress level. Sensible sun exposure on a regular basis can help soothe anxious feelings. Sunlight is one of the natural remedies to anxiety.
- Show your plants some love: Plants appreciate natural light, just like we do, and will flourish when daylight is incorporated into the home.
- Fight depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): There is evidence that sunlight is a natural way to improve mood. For sufferers of depression, adding moderate sun exposure might help combat the symptoms. For those who suffer from SAD during the winter, natural light can help combat those feelings. Look for ways to introduce more sunlight into the living environment, with the help of Tubular Daylighting Devices (TDDs).
- Better relationships: More sunlight can help relationships because it offers a mood enhancement.
- Improve visibility: Natural light makes things easier to see and provides true color rendition to décor and wardrobe.
Daylighting is the most cost-effective and beneficial way to light up any interior space while keeping the lights turned off during the day. Daylighting systems (i.e. windows, skylights, Tubular Daylight Devices, etc.) are not only eco-friendly, but they provide exceptional and beautiful lighting.
National Daylight Appreciation Day is sponsored by Solatube International Inc, the leading manufacturer and marketer of Tubular Daylighting Devices (TDDs). Since 1991, enough Solatube products have been installed to offset more than 68,590,000 pounds of carbon emissions annually, the equivalent of eliminating all carbon emissions for the entire country of Kuwait for one full day. The company recently launched its Smart LED System, which is a fusion of daylighting and LED lighting that saves up to 94 percent on lighting energy use.
About Solatube International
Solatube International Inc., based in Vista, Calif. (northern San Diego County), is the worldwide leading manufacturer and marketer of Tubular Daylighting Devices (TDDs) and celebrated its 20th Anniversary in 2011. The company’s flagship product, the Solatube® Daylighting System, provides a revolutionary natural lighting solution for all types of residential and commercial applications and is the only spec-grade TDD currently available on the market. The maxim “Innovation in DaylightingTM” reflects the company’s commitment to the development of breakthrough daylighting technologies, which has resulted in numerous patents dating back to the mid-1980s. Widely recognized as the industry innovator, Solatube International has earned acclaim around the globe for its unrivaled ability to transform interior spaces with the power of daylight. The company recently launched its Smart LED System, a fusion of daylighting and LED lighting for energy lighting savings of up to 94 percent. For more information on the Solatube Daylighting System or other products manufactured and marketed by Solatube International, including solar-powered attic ventilation fans, please visit the Solatube Web site at http://www.solatube.com or call 888-SOLATUBE (888-765-2882).