Gone are the days when the only electronic devices you would take on holiday was a camera and maybe a hairdryer. You’re now likely to be carrying around a £1,000 worth of items in your suitcase.
(PRWEB UK) 14 June 2013
Supercover Insurance Ltd, administrator and provider of gadget insurance, has issued key advice to holidaymakers around protecting their electronic devices this summer. Individuals who purchase travel insurance aren’t always aware that their electronic devices are inadequately covered. A number of insurers offer very low limits for the cost of replacing an item and the overall valuables limit; sometimes no more than £200*.
Carmi Korine, director of Supercover Insurance, comments: “Gone are the days when the only electronic devices you would take on holiday was a camera and maybe a hairdryer. You’re now likely to be carrying around a £1,000 worth of items in your suitcase and a number of travel insurers still don’t cover even half the value of many of these. Until travel insurers change their policies, standalone gadget cover from specialist providers seems like the only other option.
“Having said that, even though these specialist providers aim to give peace of mind to their customers if something does happen to their devices, we do advise the public to apply certain measures to ensure they aren’t parted with their devices while on holiday in the first place.”
Top tips for using your devices on holiday:
- If using a phone or tablet in the street, ensure it’s a safe environment
- Don’t leave your device unattended or in view at restaurants, bars or clubs
- If your hotel has a safe service, use it
- Store your device in a hard-to-reach pocket or compartment in your bag
- Don’t use a branded or obviously expensive earpiece in public
- In the event that your device is stolen, ensure your data is protected with a pin and an in-built tracker device is activated if available.
- ends -
- Which? research into standard travel insurance policies, May 2013, http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/05/travel-insurance-cover-behind-the-times-319707/