And the Winner is… New York Law Journal’s Top Motor Vehicle Accident Verdict for 2012 - Queens Supreme Court Awards $2.9 Million to Plaintiff

Share Article

Howard G. Frederick and the team of personal injury lawyers at the New York Law Firm Silbowitz, Garafola, Silbowitz, Schatz & Frederick helped victim of alleged motor vehicle accident seek compensation from multiple defendants.

New York Law Journal’s Top Verdicts New York 2012

We strive to provide the highest quality legal representation to seriously injured victims and the families

Sometimes a motor vehicle accident requires an extremely astute personal injury lawyer. Along Merrick Boulevard in Queens, New York alleged injuries to the plaintiff’s back and knee, led to a personal injury claim that was awarded by the Queens Supreme Court (Reference No. 25888/09) for $2,939,120.

The said claim was filed against four parties – the driver of the vehicle in which the plaintiff was in during the accident, the bus driver that collided with their vehicle, the bus operator, the New York City Transit Authority, and that agency's parent company, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

According to the plaintiff’s attorney, both drivers were negligent, as the bus driver allegedly veered into their lane, the left lane, from the right lane and the driver of the vehicle she was riding accelerated into the bus’ path despite seeing the bus going into their way. The remaining defendants, having authority over the bus driver, were also allegedly equally responsible and liable for the accident.

Shauntel Williams, a 32 year old nursing assistant, was taken to the Jamaica Hospital Medical Center in Queens, New York after the accident occurred, where she underwent minor treatment. Williams alleges that she sustained a tear of her right knee's medial meniscus as well as strain that produced bulges of her L4-5 and L5-S1 intervertebral discs. She further contended that the injuries were confirmed by the results of her MRI scans which were performed immediately following the accident.

Despite undergoing physical therapy for five weeks, she was still allegedly suffering from the pain brought about by the accident. She also went through arthroscopic surgery to address her right knee. The said surgery included a synovectomy which involved the removal of the swollen lining of her knee's joint, and a chondroplasty which involved the restoration of damaged cartilage and debridement of a frayed part of the medical meniscus.

She asserted that, upon returning to work, she was unable to adequately perform her work-related duties for about eight weeks. Williams then underwent a surgery to address her spine injury. The surgery included a discectomy, a process involving the removal of her L4-5 disc; a facetectomy, the decompression of the roots of her spinal nerves; and a laminectomy, a partial removal of her L4, L5, and S1 vertebrae.

The alleged negligence of the defendants led Williams to seek compensation for her past and future medical expenses, loss of employment and income, as well as pain and suffering. The case was concluded with the jury in favor of the plaintiff, awarding Williams total damages of $2,937,120. The driver of the plaintiff’s vehicle during the alleged accident was assigned 60% of the liabilities, while the rest of the defendants were charged 40% of total damages.

Attorney Howard G. Frederick, personal injury lawyer at New York law firm Silbowitz, Garafola, Silbowitz, Schatz & Frederick, provided legal representation to Williams in this personal injury claim, passionately pursuing the case on behalf of his client. New York Law Journal’s Top New York Verdicts for 2012 lists this case as #1 Motor Vehicle: Passenger Verdict in New York in 2012

Silbowitz, Garafola, Silbowitz, Schatz & Frederick is a team of highly dedicated professional personal injury attorneys that take pride in possessing more than 80 years of cumulative experience prosecuting personal injury lawsuits. This New York personal injury law firm is firmly committed to providing the highest quality legal representation to seriously injured victims and their families.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Howard G. Frederick
Follow us on
Visit website