Emergency Plumber Reacts to Scotland’s Carbon Monoxide Regulations

Share Article

The specialists at Emergency Plumber have reacted to Scotland’s announcement of new building regulations on carbon monoxide.

Emergency Plumber

Emergency Plumber Company

It is estimated by the Department of Health that at least 4000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning at A&E each year.

Scotland has announced new building regulations on carbon monoxide which will be put in place from 1 October 2013, reports HVP on June 18 in the article Scotland Declares New CO Regulations.

Scotland’s new regulations require at least one carbon monoxide alarm to be installed in every space where a fixed combustion appliance is located, except appliances used only for cooking. If a flue passes through a room deemed as a high-risk accommodation such as bedrooms or living rooms, an alarm must also be installed.

It is estimated by the Department of Health that at least 4000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning at A&E each year. However, as the gas is odourless and colourless, and the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to illnesses such as food poisoning and flu, the correct figure is considered to be significantly higher. The installation of a carbon monoxide alarm ensures that even low levels of carbon monoxide can be detected, alerting people to the presence of the poisonous gas.

Scotland and Ireland’s area specification manager for Sprue Safety Products, Brian Trueman told HVP that:

“Carbon monoxide is a deadly but avoidable threat, and plumbers and installers can play a vital role in ensuring customers stay safe by alerting them to the risks and ensuring they have working alarms in the right locations.”

The experts at Emergency Plumber follow developments in the industry with interest, and a representative from Milton Keynes Emergency Plumber spoke of Scotland’s regulations and the importance of gas safety:

“Scotland’s new regulations highlight the importance of gas safety. It is important that installers and plumbers educate people on gas safety and advise them on carbon monoxide alarms. Even with a carbon monoxide alarm installed however, it is important that gas appliances are regularly serviced and maintained by experienced engineers such as the ones provided by Emergency Plumber to ensure all gas appliances are working correctly.”

Emergency plumber is an agency run by Martin Smith. With 18 years’ experience in the industry, his aim is to provide fast and efficient emergency plumbing engineers 24/7. The company operates within a wide range of areas in the UK including London, Plymouth, Reading, Coventry, Bolton, Manchester and Newcastle. With a database of over 300 emergency plumbers, the firm is currently the fastest growing plumbing company in the UK. Customers can also contact the team for information and advice on gas related problems.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Martin Smith
Emergency Plumber
0-751-081-4311
Email >

Martin Smith
Follow us on
Visit website