Snacking is on the rise" says Registered Dietitian and Fitness Magazine Contributor, Dawn Jackson Blatner. “Keeping smart snacks on hand can be the secret to keeping you full while staying slim and trim.
West Palm Beach, FL (PRWEB) June 26, 2013
June 21 was the official kick-off of summer, which means many people are starting to think slim for bathing suit season. With snacking accounting for about one-fourth of daily calories, finding the right snacks are key for not packing on the pounds. “Snacking is on the rise—in fact we snack twice as much as we did 30 years ago,” says Registered Dietitian and Fitness Magazine Contributor, Dawn Jackson Blatner. “Keeping smart snacks on hand can be the secret to keeping you full while staying slim and trim.”
Blatner presented audiences with five of her favorite summery snacks that offer slimming benefits without sacrificing great taste:
1. Tuna: The “slimming secret” is its protein content. Tuna is a lean protein and excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Protein helps maintain a full and satisfied feeling, and preliminary research suggests that omega-3s may decrease the amount of fat the body stores.
Blatner suggests trying single serve StarKist tuna pouches with a few whole grain crackers and carrots, cucumber or red bell pepper slices. “What I love is that these pouches provide 12-16 grams of protein and give you about 100% of your daily value of omega-3s. Plus the StarKist Creations® line comes in a variety of flavors… from Sweet & Spicy to Lemon Pepper… the pouch makes it a super portable snack!”
2. Watermelon: The “slimming secret” of Watermelon is its water content. Watermelon is 92% water. Blatner says, “Research shows that foods with high water content may help you naturally eat hundreds less calories per meal.”
3. Jicama: The “slimming secret” in jicama is its high fiber content. “Fiber helps maintain a full feeling so you can better stick to your diet.” This root-vegetable is an excellent source of fiber with 6 grams per cup.
4. Iced Ginger Tea: Iced Ginger Tea, another great slimming snack, contains a compound called “gingerol,” its “slimming secret.” A study from Columbia University showed that drinking a ginger beverage with a meal may make one feel more satisfied afterward and give more appetite control later in the day.
5. Yogurt: The “slimming secret” of Yogurt is its calcium content. Eating calcium-rich yogurt may increase the calcium in your body’s cells, which stimulates fat burning. Yogurt eaters have been shown to have less belly fat than non-yogurt eaters. For an easy summer snack, Blatner suggests using plain unsweetened 2% yogurt to make parfaits with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey, or puree yogurt, fruit and honey in a blender and freeze it into popsicles.
For more summer snacking ideas, visit http://www.StarKist.com or http://www.Facebook.com/StarKist.
About News Media Group, Inc.
News Media Group, Inc. produces a number of Satellite Media Tours and Ground Media Tours that fit the media calendar throughout the year to introduce TV and Radio station audiences to the latest news and updates. Visit http://www.newsmg.com
News Media Group, Inc.