We wanted to know who is just out of a relationship and diving straight into the single scene — the ‘reluctant singles,’ and who are the ‘single veterans,’ — people who seem to really enjoy being single.
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) June 26, 2013
According to Census data, more than 44 percent of U.S. residents 18 and older are single. Recent surveys have shown that people are more likely to choose to stay single than get married, and the divorce rate continues to edge up. In fact, each year in September, there is even a national “Unmarried and Single Americans Week.”
What do singles feel about their situation? What are the best and worst aspects of singles life? The online dating experts at Cupid decided to find out, and set up a survey on the high-traffic dating website Cupid.com. More than 2,500 people responded and many of them are clearly qualified to provide accurate insights: more than two-thirds stated that they have been single for between 1 and 10 years.
“On any given hour, millions of singles are interacting on Cupid.com, and we found there’s a wide range of singles on the site,” said Sean Hoover, Creative director at Cupid plc. “We wanted to know who is just out of a relationship and diving straight into the single scene — the ‘reluctant singles,’ and who are the ‘single veterans,’ — people who seem to really enjoy being single”.
Here are the survey highlights:
What is the worst thing about being single?
- Women (84 percent) and men (71 percent) rank loneliness and lack of companionship as the worst part of being single.
- Only 10 percent of men and 3 percent of women say they miss having regular sex.
How do you feel about being single?
- Most people are not happy with being single. The majority (65 percent) of both men and women say they “hate it.”
- Of those who like being single, more women than men are actively trying to hook up with someone, and expect to be in a relationship within the next 12 months.
- Meanwhile, men are twice as likely to “love” their single status because it makes life more exciting.
What do you most like about being single?
- For men, the best part about being single is meeting new people (43 percent).
- Meanwhile women say what they like most about being single is being independent and doing the things they like to do (43 percent).
About Cupid plc
Since its formation in 2005, Cupid has established itself as the global leader in online dating, with a base of more than 120 million members in 58 countries, and revenues of £80.9 million (2012). The company offers a wide variety of online dating services (traditional dating, casual dating, and niche dating) that appeal to dating users of diverse ages, cultures, and social interest groups. Cupid plc was listed on AIM in June 2010 (LSE AIM:CUP). Visit Cupid on the Web at http://www.cupidplc.com, and follow us on facebook.com/cupidcom and Twitter @cupidplc.