Toronto, Ontario (PRWEB) June 24, 2013
Smartphone users will soon be able to control and monitor any electronic appliance in their home or office with the touch of a button, if a Toronto-based start up has their way.
The valta system, as it’s called, launched this week on Kickstarter. It is a ‘smart’ outlet, phone app, and power system that creates an RF network and allows users to control and monitor devices in the home and office.
The valta system is designed to do things that other so-called ‘smart’ systems cannot do, say company representatives.
1. Standby power detection: Valta is the only product on the market place that can detect unused devices in standby mode, which enables us to send push message to your mobile device to remind you to turn it off. By doing this, valta aims to change user behaviour to adopt a more sustainable usage pattern for the long term.
2. Geofencing: Valta’s app has the capability to detect whether you are at home or away automatically through your smartphone. A valta user can set the app to turn off devices when away from home, and turn back on upon arrival home. The system is designed to avoid "Ooops, I forgot" moments while at the same same saving energy.
3. Extremely low power usage: By leveraging 915 MHz RF, valta sockets use less energy than any of its competitors (0.6 watts). Most energy management solution uses Wi-Fi, which consumes more energy, and in many cases, more energy than the standby power consumption of the devices they are monitoring. Why should anyone use a power-saving system that might use more power itself?
4. Better connectivity: Most people use Wi Fi for their Internet connectivity, so interference is a given. By leveraging 915 MHz RF, valta gets better range and less interference than Wi Fi or other solutions. Valta sockets have a minimum range of 100 meters, while Wi-Fi modules have maximum range of 50 meters.
5. Sleek Design: Most similar products in the market place are clunky and impractical. Sockets are large and cover up the entire wall plug, which takes away from practicality of the product. Valta sockets are sleek and minimalistic and designed to look good in the home or office. Plugging one in does not interfere with the customers from using the other plug for other purposes.
For more information on the kickstarter launch visit http://www.kickstarter.com.
Valta was started to bring transparency to electricity usage. The company founders wanted the masses to understand how energy is being used and wasted, and what we can do about it. Most energy management systems only allow you to turn on-and-off electrical devices remotely. The ones with energy measurements to help you manage usage are too technical and require insider knowledge and background to navigate. Some of this can be quite difficult to understand. The goal at Valta is to make energy management easy to understand by creating an elegant, yet simple to use system that can truly help people manage their energy usage without sacrificing their life style. Valta believes being energy efficient no longer just means turning down the thermostat, or turning off the light when you leave the room, it means eliminating energy waste. Valta provides a tool to use energy without wasting it, and help users to adopt more sustainable usage patterns.