SAN ANTONIO, Texas (PRWEB) June 24, 2013
Today at ISTE 2013, the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and the New Media Consortium (NMC) announced that the first set of HP Catalyst Academy online mini-courses is now available for enrollment under beta testing. The HP Catalyst Academy extends the work of the HP Catalyst Initiative, which was launched in 2010 to support innovations in STEMx teaching and learning. To date, 56 organizations in 15 countries have received grants from HP to explore how emerging technologies and great teaching can be combined to create powerful STEMx learning experiences for more than 130,000 students around the globe.
These online mini-courses cover a wide range of topics such as digital fabrication, computational thinking, remote labs, game design and social media. The mini-course leaders, known as HP Catalyst Fellows, worked with HP’s education partners, ISTE and the NMC, to develop these innovative online professional learning experiences. Through a grant process, HP Catalyst identified this group of established STEMx trailblazers who have experience and excellent track records in developing and launching large-scale projects that positively impact thousands of teachers and students.
HP Catalyst Academy learners will discover a new way of teaching IT, applying a student-driven, problem-solving learning approach and following lean start-up and agile software development principles.
What: The first HP Catalyst Academy mini-courses are:
- App Design: Help Your Students Change Their World
- Applications of Social Media for STEMx Teaching
- Challenge-Based Learning on Climate Change; A Mini-MOOC
- Computational Thinking in K-12 Classrooms
- Connecting Students to Their World
- Exploring STEM Competencies Through ePortfolios
- Flipping Your Class: An Analytics-Based Approach
- Game Design for Learning
- Geospatial Tech for STEMx Learning
- InkSurvey: Graphical Response Tool for Real-Time Formative Assessment
- Pedagogy 3.0: Planning Enriching Digital Experiences
- Polar Bears in a Changing Climate
- Remote Labs STEM/FAB Studio: A Teachers’ Lounge for Learning and Making
- Thinking Like an Engineer: Teaching and Learning Pre-College Engineering
Where: To explore the HP Catalyst Academy's professional learning opportunities, visit http://www.catalyst-academy.org. Applications for the second cohort of HP Academy Fellows are now being accepted. For more information, go to http://www.hp.com/go/hpcatalyst.