“Dwell on Design is truly a design incubator,” said Dwell President Michela O’Connor Abrams.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) June 25, 2013
Modern design luminaries, professionals, and enthusiasts from around the world descended upon the Los Angeles Convention Center for Dwell on Design (http://www.dwellondesign.com) this past weekend. During its three-day run, the nation’s largest design event offered a full host of discussions, demonstrations, home tours, and a diverse array of exhibits covering every aspect of the modern lifestyle. Dwell on Design transformed over 200,000 square feet of exhibition floor into a state-of-the-art showcase for the modern world. Attendance topped out at 30,758, up 12% from last year. Combined with Dwell Design Week - a series of local events hosted in design showrooms throughout the city – almost 35,000 visitors experienced the Dwell brand across Los Angeles.
“Dwell on Design is truly a design incubator,” said Dwell President Michela O’Connor Abrams. “The show is a live embodiment of the modern lifestyle and continues to flourish as platform where designers and brands can share ideas and products that will ultimately shape the way in which we live.”
Dwell on Design 2013 highlights included:
- A stirring keynote by renowned architect and product designer, Michael Graves, who shared his insights on universal design and design’s direct influence on the quality of life.
- Other notable speakers included: actor Bryan Cranston, whose sustainable home is featured in the most recent issue of Dwell; AirBnB Co-Founder Joe Gebbia; and Life Edited founder Graham Hill. Google Glass also gave a demonstration of their new wearable device. Interior designer and reality TV star Jeff Lewis was on-hand promoting his new paint line and filming the next season of Bravo TV’s Flipping Out.
- Dwell Outdoor took center stage this year, transforming an entire “block” of the convention center floor into a veritable neighborhood. The exhibition showcased full-scale prefab structures from Sett Studio, pieceHomes, LivingHomes, iT House, and Sustain Design’s miniHome, along with the Blu Homes Lounge Oasis and a prefab designed by Method Homes, outfitted with colorful products from jc penney’s designer collections by Michael Graves, Sir Terence Conrad, and Jonathan Adler. State-of-the-art spas, shelters, space age planters, and other ingenious outdoor living products punctuated the space between.
- First-ever Artist-in-Residence Tanya Aguiñiga ran interactive workshops and created 72 “Move-In Kits” consisting of handmade knitted blankets, art and furniture to be donated Los Angeles shelters, to help homeless transitioning into new homes.
- The Dwell on Design Awards were announced, recognizing exhibitors in each category for outstanding showing. Winners included Franz Viegener (Kitchen and Bath), Nourishmat (Design Materials), Clei (distributed by Resource Furniture), Playforms (New Product), Miele (Modern Lifestyle), La Cava (Sustainability), David Trubridge (Lighting), Shades of Green (Outdoor), Brizo (Best Booth), and Emeco (Best in Show). Special thanks to 2013 Jurors Zahid Sardar (Dwell contributing writer and author), Rachelle Schoessler Lynn (ASID National, President-Elect) Kat Fern (ASID LA Chapter President), Donald Strum (principal, Michael Graves Design Group), and Erika Heet (Dwell contributing editor, Dwell on Design Editorial Director).
- Dwell announced the Dwell Vision Award - a new editorial award presented in cooperation with the Big Ass Fan Company that will honor design visionaries who are moving modern design forward. The inaugural award will be announced at a special ceremony in New York City on November 7th. The jury features two supporting Dwell editors, Big Ass Fans General Design Manager Brian Smith, and one celebrity juror (to be announced). Submissions are being accepted until August 30th. http://www.dwell.com/visionawards
- The American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) held their annual Chapter Leadership Conference in conjunction with Dwell on Design, welcoming over 500 trade professionals, chapter leaders, and board members from across the nation for three days of lectures, CEU classes, and tours.
- The ever-popular Dwell Home Tours hit record numbers, selling out all three tours that took visitors inside some of the most remarkable modern homes throughout the city.
- AIA Los Angeles announced the winners of the 9th Annual Restaurant Design Awards. Jury winners included Belcampo Meat Co. by BCV Architects, Nobu Malibu by Montalba Architects, Inc. and Studio PCH, Superba Snack Bar by Reed Architectural Group & Design and Design, Bitches, Beer Belly by MAKE Architecture, Northern Lights Bar by minarc, Chambers Eat+Drink by SPARC and Mr. Important Design, and SHOREbar by Built. Best new concept award went to Belcampo Meat Co. by BCV Architects. The People’s Choice Awards went to Outliers Eatery by Remi Designs, Northern Lights Bar by minarc, and SHOREbar by Built.
- The show drew over 250 members of the media and was featured by the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily News, National Public Radio, KNBC, several international broadcast affiliates, and countless design blogs.
Dwell programming continues this summer in Los Angeles with tours of the Dwell Home Venice in July. City Modern, Dwell’s successful program with New York Magazine returns in New York City this October. The next Dwell on Design is scheduled for June 22 – 24, 2014.
The Lincoln Motor Company was the Presenting Auto sponsor, Design Partner was jcpenney and Industry Partner was The American Society of Interior Designers (ASID). The event was produced by Dwell Media (http://www.dwell.com).
ABOUT DWELL MEDIA,LLC
Dwell Media is the parent company of Dwell magazine, Dwell Digital + Mobile, Dwell on Design events, and the Dwell Homes Collection. Founded in 2000 by Lara Deam, Dwell has received countless industry awards and is widely regarded as a leading voice in the modern design movement. Championing a philosophy that is idea-driven and sensitive to social and physical surroundings, its enduring passion for design leads a passionate community of design-seekers to be “At Home in the Modern World.” Learn more at http://www.dwell.com.
ABOUT THE LINCOLN MOTOR COMPANY
Lincoln is the luxury automotive brand of Ford Motor Company, committed to creating compelling vehicles with an exceptional ownership experience to match. Lincoln will introduce four all-new vehicles in the next four years. For more information about Lincoln, please visit media.lincoln.com or http://www.lincoln.com. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/lincoln.
ABOUT AMERICAN SOCIETY OF INTERIOR DESIGNERS (ASID)
The American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) is a community of people – designers, industry representatives, educators, and students – committed to interior design. Through education, knowledge sharing, advocacy, community building and outreach, the Society strives to advance the interior design profession, and in the process, to demonstrate and celebrate the power of design to positively change people’s lives. Its more than 30,000 members engage in a variety of professional programs and activities through a network of 48 chapters throughout the United States and Canada. Learn more at http://www.asid.org.
For more information, go to http://www.dwellondesign.com.
Contact Haily Zaki at haily(at)dwell(dot)com / 323.712.0298 or
Alex Polier at alexandra(at)dwell(dot)com / 917.693.2768 with all media inquiries.