Arlington, VA (PRWEB) June 27, 2013
On July 1, 2013, the iconic symbol of crime prevention McGruff the Crime Dog® turns 33, signifying more than three decades of delivering crime prevention messages on topics from gang violence and intellectual property theft to cyberbullying and elder abuse. Since his start with the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) in 1980, McGruff has encouraged communities around the country to help law enforcement “Take A Bite Out Of Crime®.”
As a result of a “name that dog” contest, McGruff the Crime Dog got his name from a New Orleans police officer, and in the years since his debut, McGruff has helped NCPC raise public consciousness and action on issues regarding personal safety, bullying, school safety, identity theft, and cybercrime, among many other issues. Through television commercials, comic books, live appearances, and more, McGruff has consistently encouraged Americans to take common-sense steps to reduce crime.
There are currently 4,000 law enforcement officers actively portraying McGruff in costume all across the country, empowering people to help keep their families, themselves, and their communities safe from crime. With an 83 percent recognition rate, it’s clear that McGruff is as popular as ever. Every October, which is Crime Prevention month, communities nationwide use McGruff in their activities and events as part of NCPC’s crime prevention initiative called Celebrate Safe Communities.
In the past year alone, McGruff and NCPC have made several notable accomplishments:
- Hosting NCPC’s first virtual conference on mortgage fraud prevention and sharing new resources for victims of fraud
- Receiving funding from the U.S. Department of Justice to pursue a safe gun storage campaign
- Producing a new public education campaign for their elder abuse prevention campaign
- Entering a partnership with Financial Industry Regulatory Authority for an investment fraud education campaign
- Creating a new animated short video on bullying with the Community Oriented Policing Services Office, U.S. Department of Justice, for young children nationwide, which features McGruff himself along with his nephew Scruff®
- Embracing technology in crime prevention through a partnership with AlertID, a service that provides a safe way to receive trusted public safety alerts and share information with neighbors. NCPC and AlertID have collaborated on several press releases throughout their partnership to deliver timely and relevant crime prevention and safety information, such as their recent Fourth of July release.
“AlertID is proud to support the National Crime Prevention Council, and the nationally recognized McGruff the Crime Dog®, in providing important safety information and alerts that help protect children and families across the country,” said AlertID founder, Keli Wilson.
About the National Crime Prevention Council
The National Crime Prevention Council is the nonprofit leader in crime prevention. For more than 30 years, our symbol of safety, McGruff the Crime Dog®, has delivered easy-to-use crime prevention tips that protect what matters most—you, your family, and your community. Law enforcement agencies nationwide rely on our expertise to make an impact on personal safety and crime every day. For more information on how NCPC can be a public safety expert for you or how to “Take A Bite Out Of Crime®,” visit http://www.ncpc.org.
Become a fan of NCPC: Friend us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Find us on YouTube
About AlertID, Inc.
Live Safely™ with AlertID. AlertID is the safe way to receive trusted public safety alerts and share information with neighbors.
Alerts are provided by trusted sources including public safety agencies, local law enforcement, schools, neighborhood groups, neighbors, family members and friends. This first-of-its-kind, fast-growing network is the leader in helping people protect their families and communities throughout the United States and is poised to evolve into the world’s go-to public safety and security resource. For information on critical public safety alerts and sharing information with neighbors, friends and family across the country, visit http://www.AlertID.com.
Become a fan of AlertID: Friend us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter