"How fortunate we are to have so many capable and qualified pro-choice Virginians willing to run for public office.”
Richmond, VA (PRWEB) June 30, 2013
The Women's Strike Force has announced the first round of endorsed candidates for the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates races. The thirteen challengers and one candidate for an open seat are all pro-choice and opposed to the mandatory ultrasound and personhood bills supported by the current or previous incumbents.
Each candidate was interviewed individually by Women's Strike Force board members over a period of several weeks this spring. Each was vetted on their campaign message, organization and commitment to support women's access to reproductive healthcare decisions.
“How fortunate we are to have so many capable and qualified pro-choice Virginians willing to run for public office,” said former Richmond delegate and Women’s Strike Force president Katherine Waddell. “This is a critical time in Virginia politics and we thank them for offering their service to the Commonwealth.”
"My co-chair Jan Schar and I are encouraged to see the level of energy and dedication these candidates bring to their campaigns and to the protection of women's rights,” added former McLean delegate and candidate recruitment co-chair Margi Vanderhye. “The current pervasive culture of intolerance in Virginia hurts everyone. It is unwelcoming and bad for business too.”
The candidates endorsed are:
- John Bell (87th) bellforvirginia.com
- Freeda Cathcart (17th) cathcartfordelegate.com
- Ed Deitsch (42nd) eddeitsch4va42.com
- Traci Dippert (30th) dippertfordelegate.com
- Rob Farinholt (94th) robfarinholt.com
- Bill Fleming (82nd) billflemingforva.com
- Reed Heddleston (51st) heddlestonforthehouse.com
- Susan Hippen (21st) hippenfordelegate.com
- Monte Johnson (10th) monteforvirginia.com
- Monty Mason (93rd) masonforvirginia.com
- Brent McKenzie (84th) brentmckenzie.com
- Jeremy McPike (31st) voteforjeremy.com
- Gary Miller (14th) millerfordelegate.com
- Kathleen Murphy (34th) kathleenmurphyfordelegate.com
The Women's Strike Force, LLC, is a bipartisan PAC founded in 2012 by women leaders from across Virginia to recruit and support challengers to legislators who voted in favor of personhood and mandatory ultrasound bills. The group has a national profile and continues to raise awareness and funds for its mission. For more information or to make a donation, see our website.