Washington, DC (PRWEB) August 30, 2013
By Sept. 23, HIPAA covered entities and business associates must be in full compliance with the massive new patient privacy, security and breach regulations issued by HHS’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in January. The new requirements address a wide range of complex topics, reinvent the relationship between covered entities and their business associates, and provide HHS with an arsenal of new enforcement weapons that make noncompliance riskier than ever. The upcoming Sept. 11 Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) webinar, “Pitfalls to Avoid in New HIPAA/HITECH Regs: Compliance Deadline Sept. 23,” offers a timely review of the new risk areas and steps that can be taken to minimize an organization’s exposure.
The webinar will be led by veteran HIPAA attorney Reece Hirsch, one of the nation's leading health care privacy and security attorneys, and a partner in the San Francisco office of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP. In 60 minutes of expert presentations, followed by 30 minutes devoted to individual questions, Mr. Hirsch will cover the following topics:
- The new obligations and liabilities of business associates
- Changes in the covered entity/business associate relationship and BA agreements
- The new HIPAA obligations of “subcontractors”
- The definition of a “breach” and new “harm” standard
- Revisions to the Notice of Privacy Practices
- Restrictions on the “sale” of PHI
- Changes in authorizations for research
- Revisions to an individual’s right to access and request restrictions
- New rules for use and disclosure of PHI
- Changes to the fundraising opt-out and disclosures for fundraising
- Expanded protection for the PHI of decedents
- Stronger enforcement of HIPAA/HITECH violations and imposition of higher penalties
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c3x38_091113 for more details and registration information.
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) is a publishing and information company that has been serving the health care industry for more than 25 years. It develops highly targeted news, data and strategic information for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. AIS products include print and electronic newsletters, websites, looseleafs, books, strategic reports, databases, webinars and conferences. Learn more at http://AISHealth.com.