Rockledge, FL (PRWEB) September 27, 2013
Health First is encouraging the public to get their flu shots this year. Click here to view an educational and entertaining “Kung Flu Fighting” video Health First put together of its employees to showcase the importance of getting flu shots. Flu season typically runs from October through March.
Health First reminds the public the flu (influenza) is a very serious and preventable disease for everyone in the community. “It’s important to know having the flu is not the same thing as getting a bad cold,” said Health First Health Plans Vice President and Medical Director Dr. Jennifer Brady. “They are both caused by viruses, but they are totally different in their symptoms and seriousness. Even though influenza is much more severe than a cold, it is preventable by getting an annual flu shot. The vaccination also helps to not spread the virus to family members as well as others.”
In the past four years, 257 people here in Brevard County have died from the flu. Across the country, more than 226,000 people are hospitalized each year from influenza and 36,000 of them die from it. It’s estimated that getting the vaccination last year prevented 5 million cases of the flu and 40,000 hospital admissions.
Additional Important Flu Facts:
- Antiviral medications are not a substitute for getting the vaccine.
- Even healthy children and adults can get very sick from the flu.
- The flu vaccine is recommended for everyone aged 6 month and older.
- If you had the vaccine last year, it will not protect you for this year’s flu season.
- There are a lot of misunderstandings and myths about the flu vaccinations. The vaccine injection will not give you a mild, or severe, case of the flu. The injection is made from dead viruses only. The vaccine is safe, and also strongly recommended, for children and pregnant women. Influenza vaccines do not contain chemicals to ‘boost’ the potency of the shot.
Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJB7tatdzM&feature=youtu.be to view the video.
About Health First
Founded in 1995, Health First is a not-for-profit and is Central Florida’s only fully integrated health system and employs more than 7,500 people and has four hospitals (including Holmes Regional Medical Center, Palm Bay Hospital, Cape Canaveral Hospital and Viera Hospital). Health First Health Plans also offers a wide variety of health insurance plan options for Brevard and Indian River Counties. In addition, Health First is home to Brevard County’s only Trauma Center. Health First Medical Group is the largest multi-specialty physician group on the Space Coast. Health First offers numerous outpatient and wellness services, including four Pro-Health and Fitness Centers. Visit http://www.Health-First.org for more information.