Trying to achieve financial goals without a budget will only get you so far, because budgeting gives you a way to measure your successes—and failures.
New York, NY (PRWEB) January 02, 2013
RoadFish.com men’s lifestyle and finance magazine today issued their statement of support to Americans whose New Year’s resolutions involve financial goals, such as improving their credit report, saving more, and spending less, and published useful suggestions for how to successfully turn those goals into realities in the New Year. RoadFish.com promoted a WGRZ article about the same, urging its readers to get financial advice from more than one source in order to mix ideas, tactics, and approaches to get the most success this year.
WGRZ’s Matt Granite authored an article for the Buffalo, New York news station providing readers with his personal New Year’s resolutions, and the accompanying action plans to ensure that he achieves each one. Granite’s first resolution is to shop smart, which he intends to accomplish by avoiding impulse purchases, never paying full price for an item, price-checking at different stores, and using coupons frequently to reduce the cost of necessary full-priced items. Granite suggests utilizing shopping website “The Find” to aid consumers in comparing prices for potential purchases.
RoadFish.com shared Granite’s article with their readers for its useful advice, and urged readers that if this is the year they hope to truly achieve their goals, they ought to expand on their target and get very clear about how to achieve it. RoadFish.com’s Senior staff writer is quoted as saying, “I once read an article describing phenomenon of Harvard graduate students that may paint goal setting in a whole new light. The article proved that 3% of all Harvard MBAs make ten times as the other 97%, and the key is in setting goals for themselves. A survey from 1979 showed that of the recent Harvard MBA grads, 84% had no specific goals whatsoever, 13% did have goals but they were not written down anywhere, and a mere 3% had goals that were not only written down, but also had game plans laid out to accomplish them. Now, when I set goals for myself, I make sure they are clearly written out and I spend time creating a plan for how to get there. I strongly advise anybody setting financial resolutions for the New Year to follow this example. It’s all well and good to say, ‘I want to save more money this year.’ But unless you are keeping a budget, seeing where you can save, and changing your shopping habits, it’s not going to happen. Every goal needs a game plan; that’s my best advice.”
Other recommendations from the above-mentioned WGRZ article are for consumers to always shop using coupons, create and stick to a budget, reduce debt, and never pay full price for a meal eaten at a restaurant. Granite points out that there are so many websites these days offering discounts on restaurant food, it would be silly not to take advantage of them. He likes using Restaurant.com for discounts, and reveals that people who sign up for a newsletter will be rewarded with even further discounts equaling $25 worth of restaurant gift certificates for just $2. Other sites that offer deals are Groupon, Living Social, Bloomspot, Amazon Local, and Deal Chicken.
Of Granite’s suggestions, RoadFish.com heavily promoted his advice to create and stick to a monthly budget. RoadFish.com’s Senior staff writer is quoted as saying, “Trying to achieve financial goals without a budget will only get you so far, because budgeting gives you a way to measure your successes—and failures. How will you know how much you are able to trim away without seeing an exact number of how much is left over at the end of the month? You might be shocked to see a pattern of where you are spending your money as well, and decide to cut back in that department. I’m talking about things such as Netflix, cable, HBO, electric, data plans, even daily or weekly coffee. But you won’t be aware of any of that until you see it all laid out in front of you.”
Granite’s other tips regarding budgeting is to find out what is being spent on regular monthly items, then try to purchase them in just a few shopping visits if possible. He prefers to order items online with free delivery to save gas. He points out that it won’t work unless every penny spent is written down, and suggests using Mint.com as a helpful financial tool which streamlines all checking accounts and spending into one place.
RoadFish.com is an online lifestyle and finance magazine directed at male readers in their 30’s and 40’s. It presents stories about financial advice such as how to manage personal finances, restaurant reviews, and luxury men’s items. RoadFish.com specializes in dating advice as well, giving recommendations about the best online dating sites and recently the new credit score dating trend. RoadFish.com is owned and operated by Purpose Inc.