This is the kind of material innovation that helps FIAT deliver true value to our customers.
Frankfurt, Germany (PRWEB UK) 9 January 2014
The quintessential Italian car manufacturer and one of the largest car makers worldwide, the FIAT Group designs cars for the modern, urban lifestyle with a range of colorful city cars known for their fuel efficiency. FIAT partnered with Styrolution, the global leader in styrenics, to source a high-performance styrenic solution for exterior parts that would enable them to retain their premium appearance over time.
- Luran S replaces all unpainted exterior ABS applications in FIAT Group models: As a result of this close collaboration and Styrolution’s ability to offer global sourcing, FIAT selected specialty copolymer Luran S, with a high-performance UV additive, to replace a commodity ABS polymer for all unpainted exterior applications across its car models worldwide. Luran S will be used in a number of exterior applications, ranging from rear view mirrors, emblems and front grills to b-pillars and roof rack bars.
- Customized color development and paint cost reduction: Luran S allows FIAT to save on painting costs while offering high gloss, premium surface quality in FIAT Nero 831, a custom-made color developed by Styrolution at its Color Excellence Center in Cologne, Germany. Luran S also helps FIAT dramatically improve UV resistance to weather and ageing. This further enhances surface aesthetic performance by retaining gloss and color over time.
- Luran S: An ideal styrenic specialty for exterior automotive applications: The Luran S grades and their blends (ASA and ASA+PC) are impact-modified with acrylic ester rubber, making them suitable for components that are exposed to rain, wind and weather, ensuring they retain high aesthetic quality.
The key properties of Luran S are:
- Weather resistance and UV performance
- Premium aesthetics for product differentiation
- High stiffness
- Dimensional stability
- Resistance to temperature fluctuation
- Good resistance to chemicals
- High aging stability
- Global availability
Maurizio Servetti, Manager at FIAT Center Research – Group Materials Labs
“Luran S is one of the best materials of choice, as it allows us to create external parts that retain the premium surface quality our customers expect while reducing total costs. This is the kind of material innovation that helps FIAT deliver true value to our customers.”
Pierre Juan, global industry lead, automotive, Styrolution: “FIAT is launching an increasing number of new models that are truly built on plastic design innovation,” said Juan. “Styrolution has been a proud partner of FIAT for a number of years. We are very pleased we could work side-by-side with FIAT to co-create a customized styrenic solution that can now be found in literally every external application on every new FIAT model worldwide.”
Styrolution is the leading, global styrenics supplier with a focus on styrene monomer, polystyrene, ABS Standard and styrenic specialties. With world-class production facilities and more than 80 years of experience, Styrolution helps its customers succeed by offering the best possible solution, designed to give them a competitive edge in their markets. The company provides styrenic applications for many everyday products across a broad range of industries, including automotive, electrical and electronics, household appliances, building and construction, healthcare and diagnostics, toys/sports/leisure, and packaging. In 2012, sales were at 6 billion euros, resulting in an EBITDA before special items of 335 million euros. Styrolution employs approximately 3,200 people and operates 17 production sites in ten countries.
For further information, please visit http://www.styrolution.com.
Global Manager, Public Relations
Styrolution Group GmbH
Phone: +49 069 509550-1025