Lincoln, RI (PRWEB) January 13, 2014
Burglary has been on the rise in recent years, and unoccupied homes are a prime target for thieves. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing tips to help deter burglars from breaking into your home while you’re out of town.
Amica is offering the following tips from the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety to help keep your home secure while you’re away:
- Stop mail service and newspaper delivery for the duration of your travels.
- Install lights with timers or motion sensors.
- Use tapered deadbolts to keep thieves from twisting open locks with wrenches or other tools.
- Tell a neighbor you’ll be out of town, and give them a spare key to check on your home. They can make sure doors haven’t been left open and pipes haven’t burst.
- Inform the police you’ll be traveling, and for how long.
- Avoid posting about your trip on social media. It will alert people that your home will be empty.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, R.I., is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.