Eindhoven, Netherlands and San Jose, California (PRWEB) February 25, 2014
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today announced the release of the LPC1500 microcontroller series, optimized for fast, easy, and high-precision motor control. The new microcontrollers incorporate all the features required for high-accuracy sensored and sensorless motor control, enabling simultaneous control of two motors in highly flexible configurations. With ultra-efficient motor control firmware, easy-to-use GUI-based tuning tools, and two new motor control solution kits, NXP LPC1500 microcontrollers simplify evaluation and development of motor control applications, without requiring deep motor control experience.
The LPC1500 MCUs are optimized for use with a wide range of brushless DC (BLDC) motors, permanent-magnet synchronous motors (PMSM), and AC induction motors (ACIM) commonly found in products such as large home appliances, HVAC, industrial pumps and generators, and more. They are also well suited for industrial applications requiring high-precision data sampling and real-time control, such as digital power and instrumentation.
“Today, many industrial designers face the challenge of creating designs with different types of motors, both sensored and sensorless,” said Ross Bannatyne, general manager for mass market microcontrollers at NXP Semiconductors. “The LPC1500 series accelerates time to market with optimized MCUs, firmware, software development tools and easy-to-use solution kits for BLDC and PMSM motors.”
Based on the ARM® Cortex™-M3 processor, the LPC1500 microcontroller series is optimized to address a variety of motor control applications. Two 12-bit, 12-channel, 2 Msps ADCs and an on-chip quadrature encoder interface (QEI) enable highly accurate control of both sensored and sensorless motor combinations. Four on-chip comparators enable fast-response over-current/voltage monitoring and protection; and four flexible SCTimer/PWM timers provide up to 28 PWM channels in a tightly coupled analog and timing subsystem, with minimal load on the CPU.
The LPC1500 is available with two complete motor control kits, including baseboards, motors, and free firmware:
- The PMSM Motor Control Solution demonstrates (FOC) motor control for sensored and sensorless PM motors;
- The BLDC Motor Control Solution demonstrates classical trapezoidal motor control functionality on a sensored BLDC motor.
Together, the LPC1500 tools and solutions help developers put powerful LPC1500 MCUs to work in a variety of motor control applications.
The LPC1500 series of microcontrollers are fully supported by the LPC software ecosystem and an extensive collection of tools, drivers and middleware. Developers can choose from the free NXP LPCXpresso development platform, incorporating a full featured C/C++ toolchain and IDE, or from other popular tools such as those from Keil and IAR.
Key LPC1500 Features
- Supports two motors:
– Two 12-bit, 12-channel, 2 Msps ADCs with 500 ns ADC conversion time
- Advanced analog subsystem and high-precision timing, ideal for PID control loops
– Four SCTimer/PWM modules, with average PWM resolution <1ns
– Four fast comparators with 68 ns propagation delay
– Interconnected SCTimer/PWM, ADCs and comparators
– ADC triggered by SCTimer/PWM
- 72 MHz ARM Cortex-M3 processor
- Connectivity: CAN module for industrial connectivity and USB simplifies field upgrades
- Free FOC and BLDC motor control firmware
- GUI-based calibration/tuning tools
Pricing and Availability
The new NXP LPC1500 series microcontrollers and development board, as well as the PMSM and BLDC motor control solutions, are available immediately from major distributors. Indicative unit pricing in quantities of 10,000 starts between US $1.91 to $3.25.
- NXP LPC1500 product information page: http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers/cortex_m3/series/LPC1500.html
- LPC1500 LPCXpresso development board: http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/OM13056.html
- LPC1500 PMSM motor control solution: http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/OM13067.html
- LPC1500 BLDC motor control solution: http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/OM13068.html
- Motor control solutions: http://www.lpcware.com/motor_control
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) creates solutions that enable secure connections for a smarter world. Building on its expertise in High Performance Mixed Signal electronics, NXP is driving innovation in the automotive, identification and mobile industries, and in application areas including wireless infrastructure, lighting, healthcare, industrial, consumer tech and computing. NXP has operations in more than 25 countries, and posted revenue of $4.82 billion in 2013. Find out more at http://www.nxp.com.
- ENDS -
This document includes forward-looking statements which include statements regarding NXP’s business strategy, financial condition, results of operations and market data, as well as other statements that are not historical facts. By their nature, forward-looking statements are subject to numerous factors, risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcomes and results to be materially different from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Except for any ongoing obligation to disclose material information as required by the United States federal securities laws, NXP does not have any intention or obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements after NXP distributes this document, whether to reflect any future events or circumstances or otherwise. For a discussion of potential risks and uncertainties, please refer to the risk factors listed in NXP’s SEC filings. Copies of NXP’s SEC filings are available from the SEC website, http://www.sec.gov.