Henry County, Illinois Tourism Bureau Invites Visitors to "Uncover Our Back Road Antique & Flea Markets"
The back roads beckon bargain hunters and pickers to the small towns of Henry County. The yard sale season begins on Mother’s Day weekend with Thrifty on 150.
Henry County, IL (PRWEB) May 06, 2014
Whether visitors are looking for treasures to re-sell on EBay or furnishing homes with vintage items, visitors will want to put one of the many market offerings on a bucket list this year. Expect the unexpected in garages, yards, parking lots, and church basements along the Henry County back roads. Along the way, enjoy local food at stands sponsored by fire departments, 4-H chapters, and women’s clubs.
For visitors who imagine being an American Picker, or love to collect movie, music, sports, or memorabilia, Henry County is the place to visit. Historical fanatics, as well as collectors of Illinois historical collectors items can find wacky, weird, and wonderful Americana. Visitors will encounter hidden treasures, interesting characters, and lots of unique items.
Henry County, located in western Illinois just southeast of the Quad Cities, is also the home of several annual antique and flea markets, along with more than a dozen antique shops. Make plans to experience one of the following Henry County events for a day or a weekend.
Thrifty on 150, May 10 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., is a linear garage sale covering a 50-mile stretch of US Highway 150 from Coal Valley to Galesburg, IL, passing through the towns of Orion and Alpha.
- Maxwell Street Days, May 17 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., is in downtown Geneseo, Ill. Geneseo is on US Highway 6, just north of I-80. http://www.geneseo.org
- Community Garage Sale Day, June 14 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., is in Orion, Ill., with over 100 garage sales and yard sales throughout town. Orion is on US Highway 150 south of the Quad Cities. http://www.mainstreetorion.com
- More on 34, June 13-14 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., is the granddaddy of all linear yard sales with 100 miles of bargains across five counties on US Highway 34 from Aurora to Galesburg, Ill. http://www.moreon34.com
- 24th Annual Country Antique Market, July 12 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., is in Bishop Hill, IL, with quality antiques, primitives, folk art, textiles, and pottery on the grounds of the historic Colony School. Bishop Hill is in south-central Henry County, just a few miles north of US Highway 34. Admission is $5.00. 309-927-3042 or 309-927-3037. http://www.sweetannieprimitives.net
- Annual Apple Anne’s & Friends Antique & Flea Market, July 12 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., is in Alpha, Ill., with 30-plus vendors under the trees on the lawn of the elementary school. Alpha is in the southwest corner of Henry County on US Highway 150 west of I-74. Early-bird admission is $5.00 per person at 7:00 a.m.; general admission is $2.00 per person after 8:00 a.m. 309-629-8708.
Henry County is located in western Illinois between the Quad Cities and Galesburg, IL. The fertile farmland is bisected by the Hennepin Canal and dotted with charming small towns replete with antique shops, bakeries, farm markets, and country cafés. For information on everything you need to plan a getaway, contact the Henry County Tourism Bureau toll-free at 877-436-7926 or http://www.VisitHenryCounty.com.