We are excited to be working with so many talented teams that have so much potential,” said Doug Lynch, Executive Director of GEM. “Our goal is to see these teams strengthen their ideas and build their startups to reach the onramp to success.
Goleta, CA (PRWEB) June 12, 2014
Goleta Entrepreneurial Magnet (GEM), a collaboration of the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), City of Goleta and the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce, providing resources and support to science and technology start-up businesses, today announced the teams selected for their inaugural Summer Accelerator Program. The program, housed at the new incubator office located in Old Town, Goleta, will enable teams of entrepreneurs to develop business-related skills necessary to get their startups going. The Summer Accelerator takes place from July 5-September 12, 2014. GEM would like to thank all the teams that applied for this year’s Summer Accelerator Program and congratulate the following six teams on becoming the first group of startups in GEM:
We would like to thank all the teams that applied for this year’s Summer Accelerator Program and congratulate the following six teams on becoming the first group of startups in GEM:
- Fluency Lightening Technologies (FLT): FLT is based on technology developed at UCSB that employs a new approach to general lighting. They use an alternative light source to generate white light – a laser diode. Energy efficient and environmentally benign like LEDs, laser diodes can expand the future applications of lighting, offering flexible design strategies, efficient high power light sources and low cost maintenance.
- NextMover: NextMover is your friend with a truck. They connect customers with local truck owners who can help the next time you need to move. Next Mover uses a peer–to-peer marketplace to make local moving convenient and affordable.
- Salty Girl Seafood: Salty Girl Seafood is a sustainable seafood distribution company. They source seafood products directly from the fishermen and ship them direct to chefs.
- Shadow Maps: Shadow Maps has developed a B2B cloud-based software as a service solution that supplements GPS in urban environments. Their patented algorithms and custom 3D maps have already been field tested, showing a 10x reduction of GPS error to 10 feet.
- Shnack: Shnack allows customers to quickly and efficiently order food at sporting events, so they can focus on doing what they want to be doing – watching the game. Customers will order food from their phone and will be notified when their food is ready to be picked up, allowing them to skip the long lines.
- Uptronics: Uptronics is producing a low cost outdoor 3D laser scanner with multiple interface options. They use LIDAR technology that will enable a new generation of products that require accurate 3D range finding data.
GEM will provide these teams with an investment of up to $8,000, the teams will attend weekly workshops, receive mentorship and advice from experts in their field, secure working space at the GEM business incubator, have the chance to pitch at Investor Demo Days, as well as receive various other partner perks.
“We are excited to be working with so many talented teams that have great ideas with so much potential,” said Doug Lynch, Executive Director of GEM. “Our goal is to see these teams strengthen their ideas and build their startups to reach the onramp to business success. We believe that the Summer Accelerator Program will be a great step for them in the right direction.”
For more information on GEM and their Summer Accelerator Program, visit http://GoletaEntrepreneurs.com/ or contact Doug directly at Doug(at)GoletaEntrepreneurs(dot)com.