(PRWEB) June 11, 2014
In May 2014, General contractor Robins & Morton received certification by U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for the Redstone Gateway Office Building at 7200 Redstone Gateway.
7200 Redstone Gateway is a 62,360-square-foot, artistically designed office building adjacent to Interstate 565 at Gate 9 in Huntsville, Ala. This new office space is available to house both secure and unsecure Class A offices and will be accompanied by retail and hospitality amenities supporting the office park.
As the fourth building in a 468-acre, master-planned project, 7200 Redstone Gateway is setting the stage for big things to come. The Redstone Gateway project is designed to be a state-of-the-art office and mixed-use park developed by Corporate Office Properties Trust. The three-phase building allows for approximately 4.5 million square feet of commercial space.
Robins & Morton worked with Fuqua & Partners Architects to achieve LEED certification under the Core & Shell rating system. Sustainable elements of the project included:
- Utilizing a small building footprint to maximize the open, green space on the project site.
- Reducing the water usage requirements for the project by more than 35 percent, through selection and installation of low-flow fixtures.
- Reducing the energy usage requirements for the project by more than 20 percent below the typical baseline standard.
- Developing a plan to measure the building’s energy usage to verify building systems perform as designed.
- Implementing a strategic, onsite waste separation operation to recycle and divert upwards of 75 percent of construction waste from local landfills.
- Utilizing materials with recycled content for more than 20 percent of the project’s materials.
- Utilizing materials that were be harvested and manufactured within a 500-mile radius of the project site for more than 20 percent of the project’s materials.
- Committing to a detailed Construction Air Quality Management Plan to minimize harmful toxins or particles from the building, thus ensuring the health of workers and future tenants.
- Providing glazing on the exterior of the building to provide future tenants views to the outdoor environment.
In addition to fulfilling LEED requirements, Robins & Morton established effective construction strategies to ensure the work resulted in minimal environmental impact to the campus. Implementing Robins & Morton’s Sustainable Jobsites Policy required the project team to perform a series of activities that saved water and energy, protected the air quality and utilized materials effectively.
About Robins & Morton
Founded in 1946, Robins & Morton is a privately held engineering and construction firm that consistently ranks among the 100 largest U.S. contractors in Engineering News-Record Magazine. The company has also been named one of the best mid-sized companies to work for in America because of its worker-friendly and family-friendly practices. Robins & Morton is based in Birmingham, Ala. with offices in Dallas, Texas; Huntsville, Ala.; Orlando, Fla.; Nashville, Tenn.; Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, N.C. For more information, visit http://www.robinsmorton.com.